• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it the norm to be asked to use own computer for an Inside IR35 contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it depends on how you will be using your laptop to satisfy the end clients requirements?

In my experience the laptop you use now is just a dummy terminal and everything is done on the clients sites/network using their Jump boxes or RDP servers and it really doesn't matter what you are using to connect.

Local IT departments used to get proper nervous about personal devices coming on to their networks, with good reason.

I do find it a rather strange insistence in 2022.

Comment

Depends on what you are linking to. Plenty of secure sites will only allow you to connect with their kit that they manage. A few of my colleagues have 2-3 laptops one from our employer and the rest from secure customers. This has been normal for decades.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Just to focus on this point, I don't think it's normal - every contract I've had so far (inside or outside), I've always been issued with a client laptop because they don't want other devices connecting to their network.
        There is no norm.

I know permies who were made to buy their own laptops in different scenarios.

Scenario one was the permies brought a laptop that suited them and after they had been with their employer for a few months they then got reimbursed for them. The employer did this to stop people joining, the employer funding laptops for them that the employer would never want back and then the employee leaving within a couple of months.

Scenario two everyone connected to the company's system by remote desktop so you could use any laptop you liked.

(Current ClientCo use own llimtedCo laptop for certain stuff directly for them and secure laptop for their end client. )
        Last edited by SueEllen; 4 October 2022, 09:55.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was once asked to BYOD for an (umbrella) contract. Specifically it had to be a Mac. My old MacBook Pro died years ago, so I just used a MacBook Air. Eventually the client got fed up with me wasting (their) time using an underpowered laptop and they sent me a shiny new 16" MBP.

Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm a little surprised they would want you to use your own what with security considerations. Then there's software licensing, do you provide that too or use their licenses on your machine?

On the other hand it means you're not stuck with whatever clunky old thing they give the permies.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Silver lining of using your own laptop is you don't need to have another laptop cluttering your desk when you watch pronhub.
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Ask your employer for a device (I'll give you a clue it's not the client)

It sucks that this is the case but welcome to the world of Inside roles, is it fair, probably not, does it suck hell yes, will it change in April who knows!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Ask your employer for a device (I'll give you a clue it's not the client)

It sucks that this is the case but welcome to the world of Inside roles, is it fair, probably not, does it suck hell yes, will it change in April who knows!
                  I'd like to see the Umbrella's faces when that request goes in
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'd like to see the Umbrella's faces when that request goes in
                    The poster may be direct with the agency.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This article explains why in the future you are much more likely to have to provide your own laptop.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/a...ones-2108.html

For many companies virtual workstations are deemed to be just as secure as providing physical workstations and saves them a lot of money.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X