• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had a beer in London today. Shocked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£2.20 a pint of Doombar or £3 for a pint of my own in my local here in Leamington Spa
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
      £2.20 a pint of Doombar or £3 for a pint of my own in my local here in Leamington Spa
      That's proper cheap, even Oop North nobody but wetherspoon could come close. Well maybe the Sam Smith but the nearest one to us closed
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        Made up stuff
        Click image for larger version

Name:	cool-story-bro-2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	4189368
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah that's about the price in London. I have never seen a receipt and the prices are never listed anywhere so no idea if they are charging service charge or not. I wouldn't think so. Usually it's around 5.50-6 a pint but it has been creeping up and lots of places over 6 now. Paying over 7 is crazy, I wouldn't go back unless it was like literally in the same building as work or something.

Comment

Had a drink at lunchtime!!
            Luckily it was Bank, and not some of the seedier parts of London.

I don't know if 'Clip Joints' still operate in 2021.

But this image is from 2008, Clip Joints around Soho were infamous for extortionate drinks prices.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1024px-Police_clip_joint_warning_%283046251754%29.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.5 KB ID:	4189374
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 27 October 2021, 02:34.

Comment

Had a drink at lunchtime near bank station and I’ve not been back for a long time and never really looked at receipts so carefully

the bill was

1)£9 for a glass of house white wine 175ml
              2) £6.50 for a standard pint of beer

on top of this they add an optional (but you know it’s not optional) 12.5% service charge even though it was bar service and no service

am i correct that a pint is now £7.30 including service charge and a glass of 175ml house wine is >£10?

i remember London and having £4 pints. Then when it became £5 in 2014 people were complaining !!
              Indeed got a pint of lager in bog standard pub near Liverpool Street for £7.59 last week

the new norm

Comment

I suspect this thread is fake.
                1. He had a beer at lunch time
                2. He paid for it himself
                3. He didn't charge his client.

Unless the real reason for the thread is tied in to his "Oops I've messed up my tax return for last year" thread, and he's now claiming he's running up expenses with fake receipts and taking a salary from his company that way.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Don't worry - it's not going to stay that price for much longer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59001720

Comment

To Spoons with you!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-November.html

Wetherspoon launches MONTH-LONG sale of pints and whisky for 99p! Pub giant slashes prices on huge range of drinks from Monday - with wine at £6.99 a bottle, Gin and Tonic for £1.99 and pint of bitter for less than £1
                    • Wetherspoons says Ruddles Best or Greene King IPA will be 99p at 671 pubs
                    • Bottle of Beck's beer and a 25ml Bell's whisky with a mixer will also be 99p
                    • Discount announced on Budget day is set to run throughout all of November
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      village pub is doing a "spirit clearance sale" which involves a lot of FB posts along the lines of "shots shots shots" / "free shot with every pint" and so on... in small letters at the bottom "please drink responsibly"
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X