• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had a beer in London today. Shocked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a beer in London today. Shocked

Had a drink at lunchtime near bank station and I’ve not been back for a long time and never really looked at receipts so carefully

the bill was

1)£9 for a glass of house white wine 175ml
    2) £6.50 for a standard pint of beer

on top of this they add an optional (but you know it’s not optional) 12.5% service charge even though it was bar service and no service

am i correct that a pint is now £7.30 including service charge and a glass of 175ml house wine is >£10?

i remember London and having £4 pints. Then when it became £5 in 2014 people were complaining !!

As in you walked up, order and paid for a pint and there was a service charge? Or you paid when you left?

Good grief. Was this a pub or a swanky wine-bar?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is my local's selection tonight:

Click image for larger version

Name:	249415657_2988725648112659_3770103011801354595_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Ld94naeM6csAX9nrmIH&_nc_ht=scontent.flba3-2.fna&oh=d5b5977dd43b418b81c3d5fc2e25713a&oe=617D3D42.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	4189341

Comment

I walked up ordered beers. Left my card behind the bar. Ordered some more drinks from the bar and took them back to the table.

a normal pub nothing fancy at all

Comment

Not to mention all the contactless payments they took with your card... I certainly wouldn't leave mine behind the bar!

Comment

the pub called 'the tax dodger's arms' by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
              am i correct that a pint is now £7.30 ..
              Chortle! You mugs living in London make me laugh. It's £3.50 a pint in my local in Devon. I bet you pay £20 per day for the privilege of driving in London too

i remember London and having £4 pints. Then when it became £5 in 2014 people were complaining !!
              I remember when the Chancellor would bump up the price of fags by 2p, with a big fanfare. Now they think nothing of adding a couple of quid to the price each budget!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well you don't have to come back if you can't afford it.

I take it that's a no to coming along to the Xmas Do...

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  the pub called 'the tax dodger's arms' by any chance?
                  The “pilfering landlord”, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Chortle! You mugs living in London make me laugh. It's £3.50 a pint in my local in Devon.
                    we don't all want to live among the six-toed banjo players

Comment

Working...
                    X