• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Had a beer in London today. Shocked"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    I have developed a taste for craft beer establishments so £5 for a pint or even 2/3 pint is par for the course.
    So that'll be £9 in London then

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I have developed a taste for craft beer establishments so £5 for a pint or even 2/3 pint is par for the course.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Not sure if that was a reply to my post, but if so I'm thinking about it. When is it again, or is the date yet to be decided?
    It was actually at the OP but as you've missed it, the info is all here

https://forums.contractoruk.com/soci...er-london.html

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Well you don't have to come back if you can't afford it.

I take it that's a no to coming along to the Xmas Do...
    Not sure if that was a reply to my post, but if so I'm thinking about it. When is it again, or is the date yet to be decided?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    [QUOTE=Whorty;n4189620]

It London I'm a fan of Young's and Fullers pubs.

Yeah I got a taste for Pride whilst gigging down there, a good session ale.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I do like a nice pale ale.

When I've gone to beer fairs they've been shocked that there are ladies and young people present.

The young people are there as they've worked out the perry and cider is cheaper than the nearby pub with their discounted entrance fee.

There as us ladies over 25 are actually drinking ale in one of their 3 different sized glasses.

I've had Corduroy bags in the last 3 decades.
    Mrs W was a real ale fan too ... she knew her ales. She was a porter fan. At 5'3" and dinky size 8/10, she'd happily down the pints.

Personally I ok with Doom Bar. Not a fan of Timmy Taylor or Proper Job (my mate swears by this, I just can't get on with it).

It London I'm a fan of Young's and Fullers pubs. Although for me the best real ale pub is the Harp, just off Traffalger Sq.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Had a drink at lunchtime near bank station and I’ve not been back for a long time and never really looked at receipts so carefully

the bill was

1)£9 for a glass of house white wine 175ml
    2) £6.50 for a standard pint of beer

on top of this they add an optional (but you know it’s not optional) 12.5% service charge even though it was bar service and no service

am i correct that a pint is now £7.30 including service charge and a glass of 175ml house wine is >£10?

i remember London and having £4 pints. Then when it became £5 in 2014 people were complaining !!
    That's just to keep the peasants away. Looks like it's working...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I think I need to taste them all to decide....
    +1 for rebellion, you will need all year as they release one a month.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    Certainly in my top five, but my local brewery produces even better ales (IMHO of course): https://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/
    I think I need to taste them all to decide....

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    off you go for a half pint of granny toadsucker's old atrocious bitter, brilcreem boy

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    or the 'flat, tepid ditchwater' thread, maybe.
    Oi! you resemble that remark!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    or the 'flat, tepid ditchwater' thread, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

The former only explains things if prices were reduced when VAT was. Very few places reportedly did that.
    They may not pass the savings to the customer, but I bet most places will pass the increased costs back to the customer.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It includes things like VAT reverting from 12->20%, hugely increased energy costs, etc.
    The former only explains things if prices were reduced when VAT was. Very few places reportedly did that.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    this is the greatest beer in the world
    Landlord - Timothy Taylor's
    Certainly in my top five, but my local brewery produces even better ales (IMHO of course): https://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X