• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had a beer in London today. Shocked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hadn't seen this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53363826

A man who built an app in his spare time that highlights independent pubs close to Wetherspoons venues, says he has been amazed by the response.

The Android app Neverspoons has been downloaded nearly 18,000 times in its first week - more than Shane Jones expected from the first six months.

It is currently top of the free app chart on Google Play.

The name is a pun on the pub chain Wetherspoons but Mr Jones said he just wanted to give smaller pubs a boost.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

village pub is doing a "spirit clearance sale" which involves a lot of FB posts along the lines of "shots shots shots" / "free shot with every pint" and so on... in small letters at the bottom "please drink responsibly"
      If they put the price up to £8 per shot with mixer they would achieve the "please drink responsibly" aim.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        £2.20 a pint of Doombar or £3 for a pint of my own in my local here in Leamington Spa
        Doom Bar is vile nasty tulipe though.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Doom Bar is vile nasty tulipe though.
          Can't agree with that, though it's not my favourite Cornish ale.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you can be arsed (I can't), there are always relatively cheap beers in every part of London. Try being a student there and you will know. Someone put together a tube map of cheap beers a couple of years back and £3-£4 a pint is (or was) easily achievable, and I don't mean Bud Light (blech). OK, not the £1 a pint from student days of yore, but not bad. £6 is pretty average in central London now.

Comment

Can't agree with that, though it's not my favourite Cornish ale.
              I know plenty of Doom Bar fans. I just don't get it. It's neither bitter, nor hoppy, just completely meh. And sooooo cheap. Hence why so many bars have it. It is the Carling/Fosters/XXXX of real ales.

this is the greatest beer in the world
              Landlord - Timothy Taylor's

Honourable mention to Chinook blonde Our Beers - Goose Eye Brewery, Crossflats, Bingley (goose-eye-brewery.co.uk)

If I was in London and could get either of those, served properly, I'd be happy with £6 a pint. Clearly the OP went to the wrong bar though. There's plenty of reasonably priced bars in t'smoke.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I know plenty of Doom Bar fans. I just don't get it. It's neither bitter, nor hoppy, just completely meh. And sooooo cheap. Hence why so many bars have it. It is the Carling/Fosters/XXXX of real ales.

Honourable mention to Chinook blonde Our Beers - Goose Eye Brewery, Crossflats, Bingley (goose-eye-brewery.co.uk)

If I was in London and could get either of those, served properly, I'd be happy with £6 a pint. Clearly the OP went to the wrong bar though. There's plenty of reasonably priced bars in t'smoke.
                My favourite pub's landlord agrees with you on TT but it's also about the most expensive for pubs to buy - I know someone who works for their sales department.

I haven't had DB for a while, but I was a fan before it suddenly became a national brand so it may be different to what I used to enjoy as a local beer in Cornwall.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Proper Job
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't get DB either, if that's the only real ale on offer I have a lager.

TT is OK, but my favourites are the Leeds and Kirkstall pale ales, plenty of hops.

Wainwright is also good. As is Sam Smiths Old Brewery if drank on a sunny day riverside at the Kings Head in York hic!
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

My favourite pub's landlord agrees with you on TT but it's also about the most expensive for pubs to buy - I know someone who works for their sales department.

I haven't had DB for a while, but I was a fan before it suddenly became a national brand so it may be different to what I used to enjoy as a local beer in Cornwall.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Proper Job
                    With you on Proper Job. That's a great beer. I used to drink that here https://www.brunswickderby.co.uk despite them being a brewery in their own right.

Maybe a mod can make a sticky thread for beer recommendations?????
                    Or we could just totally hijack this one as it was bulltulip anyway.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

With you on Proper Job. That's a great beer. I used to drink that here https://www.brunswickderby.co.uk despite them being a brewery in their own right.
                      I used to drink in there too occasionally, use to love their Triple Hop and really good pork scratchings, Yum Yum!
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X