• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steak advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak advice?

A bunch of us have been playing lockdown poker online the last year and a half and are planning an in person steak & poker night once we can actually meet.
    As I head the winnings leaderboard I'm planning to procure the steaks but I've never had much luck preparing them in the past (probably because we buy cheaper ones and then complain they're no good!) I make a rule only to order steak in proper steak houses when we eat out for similar reasons, it can be so hit & miss at a pub or mid-range restaurant.

So any advice from you lot on what to get, how big they should be, how much they should cost, how they should be prepared? I am hoping another chap will do the cooking (BBQ I imagine) but I want to get some decent meat we'll all enjoy especially as I imagine 10 steaks is not going to be a trivial cost!

Ta.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You need to find an independent butcher and tell him what you want even it it means driving some miles to find. Good steak does not need tenderising. The best test is to try it raw, it should not be chewy Get some fat from the butcher and put some on top of the meat when cooking. Don't overcook good quality steak.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Either a decent butcher or.....

https://www.donaldrussell.com/

Excellent meat!

Prep is really a matter of opinion - you can get rubs and stuff, but personally I stick to some rapeseed oil and salt and pepper, then bang it in a super hot pan. Ideally a cast iron griddle.

Take it out the fridge a good 20 minutes before to let it warm up, and likewise give it a good rest after.

I'm not a pro cook, but cooking a decent cut of sirloin or something is actually pretty much fool proof - you just have to resist the urge to overcook.

Comment

I'd probably get bavette cuts which can be quite thin and so only take a couple of mins cooking on each side. Good texture, nice taste.

Use a rosemary brush to brush some oil over the top before cooking (just a little bit, don't drown it), lightly season while its resting.

Comment

Go to a butcher. Identify budget with them, they may suggest a cut he prefers. There are experts out there use them!

Steak is fine but the accompaniments can really improve the experience, great tomatoes, lettuce, Mushrooms, BBQ corn on the cob really add to the experience if you are doing BBQ then you can do baked potatoes in the ashes / oven they really add something.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Aas above, get the best you can afford. Then do oas little as possible to it.

Sirloin is easiest. Rump is tastier but takes more work to cook properly*, fillet and rib-eye bring their own problems, so lets assume an 8oz sirloin about half an inch thick

Use a ridged iron grill pan ideally, or a barbeque, but any decent frying pan will do.

Oil the steak, not the grill. Get the grill hot before you start.

Sea Salt and black pepper to season just before it goes on the grill

Cook about two minutes a side for medium rare, a bit more for medium.

Let it rest for at least 10 minutes.

There's an old chef's trick to test how well it's done. Put your thumb and middle finger together (as in an "That's OK" sign) and press the ball of the thumb. That's how a medium rare steak feels if you poke it. Ring finger for medium, little finger for well done (aka inedible...)

*Basically the same process but brown it in a very hot pan for 30 seconds a side then into an oven at 180 for ten minutes
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              You need to find an independent butcher and tell him what you want even it it means driving some miles to find. Good steak does not need tenderising. The best test is to try it raw, it should not be chewy Get some fat from the butcher and put some on top of the meat when cooking. Don't overcook good quality steak.
              aboslutely spot on. The bold bit is first and foremost for me. Everyone knows the good local butchers so just ask a few locals and they'll recommend you somewhere if you don't already know. Go in and don't be afraid to ask. I was in the same position as you a few years ago and everyone recommended the same place so went in and told him my situation. The bloke was top drawer. Took me through the cuts, pointed out what to look for, what to avoid and some tips on cooking. Never bought steak from anywhere else since, or any other meats to be fair. It's only out of dire need I ever buy it from a supermarket now. Butchers definitely the way to go for good meat.

Added bonus is he knows me now so when I turn up with something in mind he'll point out if he's got something better in or worth a try and he's been spot on everytime.

Tell him your situation and he'll vary the cut size to suit. Got to admit I don't know why people bother buying meat from supermarkets anymore, unless there is an in house butcher maybe.

10 steaks won't be cheap for sure but by god if the guy cooking them pulls it off it will make the night.

I make a rule only to order steak in proper steak houses when we eat out for similar reasons, it can be so hit & miss at a pub or mid-range restaurant.
              Exactly the same. I'm no steak snob but the stuff from your average pub can be dire so always avoid. I have it at home quite regularly now I've got the decent stuff and learned how to do it like I want. 7 minutes and it's done. Easier than most other meals.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 1 July 2021, 12:12.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Aas above, get the best you can afford. Then do oas little as possible to it.

Sirloin is easiest. Rump is tastier but takes more work to cook properly*, fillet and rib-eye bring their own problems, so lets assume an 8oz sirloin about half an inch thick

Use a ridged iron grill pan ideally, or a barbeque, but any decent frying pan will do.

Oil the steak, not the grill. Get the grill hot before you start.

Sea Salt and black pepper to season just before it goes on the grill

Cook about two minutes a side for medium rare, a bit more for medium.

Let it rest for at least 10 minutes.

There's an old chef's trick to test how well it's done. Put your thumb and middle finger together (as in an "That's OK" sign) and press the ball of the thumb. That's how a medium rare steak feels if you poke it. Ring finger for medium, little finger for well done (aka inedible...)

*Basically the same process but brown it in a very hot pan for 30 seconds a side then into an oven at 180 for ten minutes
                Definitely agree with the resting and oiling.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

https://www.coatesbutchers.com/
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks guys. We're lucky to have a couple of decent butchers locally we've used before for other things so we might go and see one for a trial at the weekend, perhaps try 2 different cuts for comparison... a tough job

I am reminded that we watched James May's cooking show and he had a trick similar to what vetran posted, but touching different bits of your hand to compare the texture. Anything to avoid cutting it to check too often, or cooking too long "to be sure".

Hungry now...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X