• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Steak advice?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Steak advice?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    and for lunch some nice fillet steak, egg and spinach sandwiches. Washed down with Vimto squash - livin the dream (and emptying the freezer so we can film the sequel to "The Thing" in the permafrost)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What is this 'poor' of which you all speak?

It's when mummy and daddy don't give you everything, and you have just got married on a graduate salary in your first home These things are relative obviously, we were probably still among the highest earning family on the street, but not buying-sirloin-rich

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Played it safe and bought 10oz sirloins from a local butcher. 9 steaks for £66.

A mate brought their firepit so we got a nice sear, though they were wide and thinner so took virtually no time to cook. Came a bit more on the medium side but still so tender.

For a decade or more I've refused to cook steak at home after failed attempts in the past (when we were poor and bought cheap cuts) so it's something of a revelation that for 5 or 7 quid I can do a really decent steak, rather than 30 in a restaurant...

And I ended £4 up on the poker too
    I haven't had steak in a restaurant since 4 years ago when the Xmas do at Hawksmoor forced me. They never do it like I like it, pan fried in a cast iron pan with plenty of butter to baste it and then at least 20 mins resting in a 50 degrees C oven.

But good effort and get doing it more at home.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Now go and watch Idiocracy (or read The Marching Morons), and get breeding!
    I always have, and always will, say that Idiocracy was a documentary.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

That's my argument to any veggie who tries to preach to me. I point out that their breeding of their offspring is far more damaging to the planet than my steak and jacket spud every week. Having not bred, I'm helping the planet no end (there's an open goal Vetran, go on, take the shot )

Now go and watch Idiocracy (or read The Marching Morons), and get breeding!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Still the best rump steak we've found after 2 years of trying local butchers, farm shops and on-line butchers across the country.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/b.../1000024153964

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    What is this 'poor' of which you all speak?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Your bought steak when you were poor? You were lucky. We had to marinade shoe leather in paraffin and cook on coal fire.
    You had paraffin when you were poor?

We had to use ditch water and make cooking noises.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Played it safe and bought 10oz sirloins from a local butcher. 9 steaks for £66.

A mate brought their firepit so we got a nice sear, though they were wide and thinner so took virtually no time to cook. Came a bit more on the medium side but still so tender.

For a decade or more I've refused to cook steak at home after failed attempts in the past (when we were poor and bought cheap cuts) so it's something of a revelation that for 5 or 7 quid I can do a really decent steak, rather than 30 in a restaurant...

Your bought steak when you were poor? You were lucky. We had to marinade shoe leather in paraffin and cook on coal fire.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Sounds like a good evening all ways round!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    And in response to DnD's earlier post, somebody's farmer friend will have to change his ways. This from the Grauniad, which also clears up a few other points.
    Well, if that means more dairy breeds of cattle ending up as "steak", then I'll have to be even more careful shopping in future. Although I suspect most of it will end up on supermarket shelves which I generally avoid. Apart from Asda Aberdeen Angus of course.

BTW, it's not just the fact that they are dairy cattle that I wouldn't touch the beef from the farmer near us. I've seen what they're being fed on.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    And in response to DnD's earlier post, somebody's farmer friend will have to change his ways. This from the Grauniad, which also clears up a few other points.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Very old cows, that are past their prime as milkers, probably end up as pet food.

Most dairy farmers don't raise cattle for beef. Sadly, that's why most male calves are killed at birth. They only need female calves for the dairy herd. The margins on beef are tight, and it's generally not worth the cost of rearing dairy breeds for meat when they don't carry a premium like beef cattle.

No decent restaurant chef would buy steak that came from a dairy cow. And neither would I.
    That's not what I said ... I said my guess is that they are used a meat in processed meals and pet food.

A quick google confirms this.

Lady dairy cows are ‘retired’ when they can no longer produce enough milk. It’s typically an inglorious ending to an animal that has churned out thousands of gallons of milk during a ten year lifetime. In conventional dairy herds, these cows will often be sent to the slaughterhouse and turned into cheap burgers, soup, or even dog food.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

My guess, and it is a guess but I'd be surprised if I was far off, is that dairy cows go to 'beef products' such as burgers, microwave lasagne etc, and dog/cat food. It's still meat, and still has a value, so unlikely to be just dumped. So given the volume of this type of food that is consumed in the UK I wouldn't be that surprised if more dairy cows are eaten compared to beef cows.

My logic could be completely flawed
    Very old cows, that are past their prime as milkers, probably end up as pet food.

Most dairy farmers don't raise cattle for beef. Sadly, that's why most male calves are killed at birth. They only need female calves for the dairy herd. The margins on beef are tight, and it's generally not worth the cost of rearing dairy breeds for meat when they don't carry a premium like beef cattle.

No decent restaurant chef would buy steak that came from a dairy cow. And neither would I.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X