• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steak advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

This is key.

No amount of cooking technique will make much difference if you start with mediocre meat.

I will mention Asda Extra Special Aberdeen Angus again. It really is good, and it's quite forgiving when it comes to cooking. Plus it's cheap at around £5 for an 8 ounce rump, sirloin or ribeye steak. You won't go far wrong with this.
    I've linked to the place that supplies the Hawksmoor and you're talking about supermarket mass produced stuff trying to get the same message across.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Japanese Wagyu, obviously. Aren't you a contractor?

Make sure it reaches room temp before cooking and leave to stand on wood for at least 5 mins afterwards.
      I'd rather buy local. If I were to buy mail-order clearly it would have to be these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyONt_ZH_aw
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

IMHO "Hot pan" and "Olive oil" don't really mix, the oil will burn (and release some nasty compounds in the process). Better to use canola (rapeseed for the less woke among us... ). After all, the idea is to caramelise the fats in the steak, not create charcoal.
        I only have olive oil in the house But yes, a different oil may work better. Saying that, I never have any issues personally but then I rarely (see what I did there) cook my meat much.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

I've linked to the place that supplies the Hawksmoor and you're talking about supermarket mass produced stuff trying to get the same message across.
          I'm just going by our experience. Over the past 2 years we've tried countless local butchers, farmshops and on-line butchers.

The Asda Aberdeen Angus has been by far the best, and very consistent. (Unfortunately, it's often sold out.) It's even better than the Donald Russell steak which is also very good.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I'm just going by our experience. Over the past 2 years we've tried countless local butchers, farmshops and on-line butchers.

The Asda Aberdeen Angus has been by far the best, and very consistent. (Unfortunately, it's often sold out.) It's even better than the Donald Russell steak which is also very good.
            Same here ... I've tried numerous local butchers and farm shops and even though you are paying a premium I've never bettered Waitrose or M&S fillet steak.

I guess it impresses the guests though if you say you bought it from Joe Bloggs butcher rather than M&S
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Supermarket premium ranges are often good stuff, don't forget many supermarkets have proper butchers (or they did, I haven't been to one since Covid). Not as fun as visiting a little village butcher and watching them work though.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Same here ... I've tried numerous local butchers and farm shops and even though you are paying a premium I've never bettered Waitrose or M&S fillet steak.

I guess it impresses the guests though if you say you bought it from Joe Bloggs butcher rather than M&S
                That's my experience too, got two really good local butchers that trounce the supermarkets apart from roasting beef and steak. IMHO the butchers stuff is too lean with no serious marbling and not hung long enough.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Do you know if their rump steak is any good? If we could reliably get hold of the Asda Aberdeen Angus, we'd stick with that but more often than not it's sold out. I think word is getting round of how good it is, and the shelves are quickly emptied.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Something you can all think about when you get together.

https://greennews.ie/eating-less-mea...ge-new-report/

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      Something you can all think about when you get together.

https://greennews.ie/eating-less-mea...ge-new-report/
                      I'll be sure to mull over that while I'm eating my Donald Russell pave rump steak tonight.

Comment

Working...
                      X