• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steak advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure the pan is very hot, you want to sear the steak not cook it gently. BBQ grills are great but a heavy skillet or pan is also great. Don't forget the salt and pepper seasoning while it cooks. The other thing to remember is let the steak breath (if vacuum sealed) and come up to room temp before searing it.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I can second Donald Russell.

Over the past couple of years we've been on a mission to find decent (rump) steak. Most supermarket steak is dreadful. But Asda Extra Special Aberdeen Angus 30 day matured is very good if they have it in. (Many times we've ordered it, it's been out of stock)

We've tried loads of butchers (local and on-line), including ones that supply up-market restaurants, and most have been so-so. Donald Russell has definitely been the best so far.
      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 1 July 2021, 12:44.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Oh and give the butcher some time (weeks) to get stuff in you will get a better deal, just pay in advance if needed.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If its not a BBQ, and you are beginner I would recommend using an air fryer for cooking steak.

The air fryer is so consistent you cant go wrong, just set the time based on thickness. Perfect steaks every time.

My kids cook steak all the time, they just pop them in for 8 minutes.

There are quite a few videos on youtube:

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Thanks guys. We're lucky to have a couple of decent butchers locally we've used before for other things so we might go and see one for a trial at the weekend, perhaps try 2 different cuts for comparison... a tough job

I am reminded that we watched James May's cooking show and he had a trick similar to what vetran posted, but touching different bits of your hand to compare the texture. Anything to avoid cutting it to check too often, or cooking too long "to be sure".

Hungry now...
            Sure that was me...

Anyway got it from some ancient cookery show, probably Keith have-a-glass Floyd - but it works.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Steak should be from either https://thegingerpig.co.uk/ or https://www.lidgates.com/

Pan/griddle fried for best results. Leave to come to room temperature for an hour before cooking though.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Echo the points above about finding a decent place to buy it from and making sure its room temperature.

I have an electric cooker which is not great for Steaks and I couldnt be bothered to fire up the BBQ so found a 'guide' online once that recommended searing for a couple of minutes on each side on a cast iron (or similar) pan at high heat.
                And then putting it in a pre heated oven, About 8 minutes for medium (how i like it) and then 12 for well done (for the missus)
                It came out amazing. Perfectly cooked. Even the well done was tender and not chewy/overcooked.

Some mushroom sauce, veg (or whatever side you want) and jobs a good 'un

Comment

1" thick (out of the fridge one hour before cooking). Heat the pan on high. When it's up to heat, put the steak in. For blue (very rare), one minute per side. For ruined, anything above one minute. Rare steak has as much blood as baked to a brick. It's just that over cooking it causes that red liquid( myoglobin ) to go brown so you don't notice. If you want tender, tasty steaks, it's got to be blue.

Leave to rest* for a few minutes wrapped in foil. Do them last thing, so they're nice a hot.

No salt, no oil, no sauce.

You should practice before the night. I would. Nom nom nom.

* Whatever else you do, do allow the meat to rest after cooking. It allows the heat to distribute evenly and makes for a more tender steak.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

oh and onions!! fried in butter and or red wine, you can deglaze the pan with red wine and do the onions so they take on the flavour.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      oh and onions!! fried in butter and or red wine, you can deglaze the pan with red wine and do the onions so they take on the flavour.

Comment

Working...
                      X