• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steak advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Yeah, all a bit too much American for my taste as well.

Lightly fried onions (or battered onion rings if you're feeling brave) and some proper triple cooked chips or a slow baked potato (two hours at 160 fan) are all you need. The steak has to be the best thing on the plate, after all.

And if you really have to have a sauce, it would be a real béarnaise, of course.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Japanese Wagyu, obviously. Aren't you a contractor?

Make sure it reaches room temp before cooking and leave to stand on wood for at least 5 mins afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

don't knock it until you tried it
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
          Echo the points above about finding a decent place to buy it from...
          This is key.

No amount of cooking technique will make much difference if you start with mediocre meat.

I will mention Asda Extra Special Aberdeen Angus again. It really is good, and it's quite forgiving when it comes to cooking. Plus it's cheap at around £5 for an 8 ounce rump, sirloin or ribeye steak. You won't go far wrong with this.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Go for tomahawk steaks, looks impressive and you can’t **** them up as they are impossibly to cook properly so will always be burnt on the outside and raw in the middle
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Also a tip I always use when cooking.

if you touch your thumb and each finger together the muscles on your palm will “toughen up” as you move from your index finger to little finger and this will feel the same as a rare, medium rare, medium, well done steak.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                A bunch of us have been playing lockdown poker online the last year and a half and are planning an in person steak & poker night once we can actually meet.
                As I head the winnings leaderboard I'm planning to procure the steaks but I've never had much luck preparing them in the past (probably because we buy cheaper ones and then complain they're no good!) I make a rule only to order steak in proper steak houses when we eat out for similar reasons, it can be so hit & miss at a pub or mid-range restaurant.

So any advice from you lot on what to get, how big they should be, how much they should cost, how they should be prepared? I am hoping another chap will do the cooking (BBQ I imagine) but I want to get some decent meat we'll all enjoy especially as I imagine 10 steaks is not going to be a trivial cost!

Ta.
                You can't go wrong with M&S/Waitrose fillet steak. Costs about £6-9 a piece. Just needs a few minutes each side in the skillet pan (bit of salt and lightly olive oil that's all I add) for a rare.

Melts in your mouth, can't beat it.

Never BBQ'd it.
                Last edited by Whorty; 2 July 2021, 07:21.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                  Make sure the pan is very hot, you want to sear the steak not cook it gently. BBQ grills are great but a heavy skillet or pan is also great. Don't forget the salt and pepper seasoning while it cooks. The other thing to remember is let the steak breath (if vacuum sealed) and come up to room temp before searing it.
                  This too
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

This too
                    IMHO "Hot pan" and "Olive oil" don't really mix, the oil will burn (and release some nasty compounds in the process). Better to use canola (rapeseed for the less woke among us... ). After all, the idea is to caramelise the fats in the steak, not create charcoal.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Also a tip I always use when cooking.

if you touch your thumb and each finger together the muscles on your palm will “toughen up” as you move from your index finger to little finger and this will feel the same as a rare, medium rare, medium, well done steak.
                      KUATB...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X