• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizon IT Scandal: Postmasters await justice today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the ex PO Chief Execs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-workers.html

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Corporate takeovers happen all the time, most of the bosses go (hopefully to prison) the rank and file stay. Frequently they go on to be very successful.

You gain keeping the organisation (which the country needs) mainly in operation while removing the guilty.
      It doesn't need a corporate takeover by one of Johnson's chums. It just needs new management.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

It doesn't need a corporate takeover by one of Johnson's chums. It just needs new management.
        one of the options - however who picks the new management if they are left to do it themselves? Also if the postmasters sue then the PO is heading to bankruptcy where it will be picked up at fire sale prices.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I don't believe that "getting another company in" will solve anything. Where will this fabled new company get its staff from? Where will it get its premises and equipment from?

Take over the old company you say?

Ah here comes TUPE to make sure all the same people move over.

What have you gained?
          That's the government's problem and the local communities who basically also ostracised the postmasters, the point is that the postmasters will get more than a few quid in compensation, and in the future maybe the local community might show a bit more respect.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

It gets worse as the former PO chief Exec is also a church of England vicar. The Church Of England through the Bishop of St Albans have defended her and her actions (you can google this). She is now on the board at Imperial NHS, another safeguarding issue.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

I don't really understand why the people who knew that the system was unreliable during the original court cases have not been found criminally culpable. Is this still ongoing, and can we expect proper justice eventually? It is such an awful case when you get into the details, and has been going on for so long already.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

At least get the name of the main contractor right - horizon was an ICL/Fujitsu project
                I didn't even spell Siemens right. But thank-you for the gentle correction. Fixed it now. The ICL/Fuijtsu managers didn't exactly cover themselves in court.

I've been following this story since it was first covered in Computer Weekly, then Private Eye. I strongly recommend listening to the Private Eye podcast.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There have been multiple cases in the courts and on each occasion the PO 'proved' that their system was watertight and innocent people went to jail. The complicity goes from middle managers to the top. Private eye has exposed each and every one of these injustices over the last 5 years or so. They know that MPs and PO senior staff read the articles, so why does it have to wait until a group action comes along to try and stop it?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    There have been multiple cases in the courts and on each occasion the PO 'proved' that their system was watertight and innocent people went to jail. The complicity goes from middle managers to the top. Private eye has exposed each and every one of these injustices over the last 5 years or so. They know that MPs and PO senior staff read the articles, so why does it have to wait until a group action comes along to try and stop it?
                    Indeed this is what government should be good at , the Directors get taken to lunch, or summoned to Whitehall (depending on severity) and a mandarin explains they should stop misbehaving or off to prison /no knighthood.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      There have been multiple cases in the courts and on each occasion the PO 'proved' that their system was watertight and innocent people went to jail.
                      I've worked on many systems over the last nearly 30 years, big and small. There's not one for which I would be able to take the stand and swear, under oath, that it couldn't have made an error. The fact anyone felt able to do that, for any system of any complexity at all, is a red flag right there.

Comment

Working...
                      X