• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Horizon IT Scandal: Postmasters await justice today"

Collapse

• Andy2022
    replied
    This guy sounds nice… says bloke who was cleared was guilty, had to be compelled to appear the enquiry, and he was too busy walking his dog to put any proper effort into his statement

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-inquiry-hears

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    The scandal was the coverup, but incase anyone is interested in the poor development standards:

Testimony from one of the software development manager (David McDonnell):

Out of the 8 developers on the team, 2 were good/capable, 2 were mediocre/ok but 4 were 'not up to producing professional code'.
    No coding standards
    No peer code reviews
    No unit or integration tests
    No methodology
    No design specs/documents for lower level module designs, just a high level design.
    Dev team was the wild west. No structure no rules or discipline, 'wild west'
    Several thousand oustanding bugs.

If interested you can easily watch the following video testimony at double speed as they talk quite slow.

https://youtu.be/l2bi29H3DwQ?feature=shared&t=900
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 21 January 2024, 18:34.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Oh, look: there's another one a bit earlier:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/government...225824182.html

"Capture".

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

A duplicate depends on the system.

Lots of companies/organisations deal with duplicates and the ones I've contacted for admit they have issues with cleansing them.
    it does indeed we had challenges 35 years ago. Its still one of the most difficult data problems. Frequently you get enough to cause problems but not enough to be sure it is a duplicate.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

good try but no cigar.

Seen this question stump many vendors.
    A duplicate depends on the system.

Lots of companies/organisations deal with duplicates and the ones I've contacted for admit they have issues with cleansing them.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

A duplicate could be a transaction with the same value with the same time stamp (Y,M,D, Hr,Mn,Sec, MSec) however, each transaction should also have a unique identifier. To be “robust”, it should be possible to unplug the computer/terminal mid transaction and upon restart, the transaction should either complete or ask for a re-try.

ATMs are on the whole robust in that, even if in the end, you don’t take the cash, the transaction will be reversed and the money counted going back in the system. BTW: I am not an expert.
    good try but no cigar.

Seen this question stump many vendors.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

define a duplicate!
    A duplicate could be a transaction with the same value with the same time stamp (Y,M,D, Hr,Mn,Sec, MSec) however, each transaction should also have a unique identifier. To be “robust”, it should be possible to unplug the computer/terminal mid transaction and upon restart, the transaction should either complete or ask for a re-try.

ATMs are on the whole robust in that, even if in the end, you don’t take the cash, the transaction will be reversed and the money counted going back in the system. BTW: I am not an expert.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied

The utter incompetence of Fujitsu beggars belief.
    Unfortunately it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied

If I followed witness testimony correctly, the muppets at Fujitsu Support were pulling off transaction records from the Horizon Database, then dumping into Excel in order to manually find (rather than using a macro) and delete duplicate entries. However, it was apparent that by doing it manually, some duplicate transactions were overlooked thus showed up as shortfalls. The utter incompetence of Fujitsu beggars belief.
    I did quite a bit of work for Fujitsu back in the day (I had nothing to do with Horizon). Intelligence is very questionable in certain parts of the organisation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

Muppets indeed, why did the database indexes allow for duplication and if it was possible why didn't the application provide data sanity checks and recovery?

Then we get to the part where the free money they stole from the Postmasters (not the other way around) was put into executive remuneration Hanging in public by the bollocks for all Fujitsu management (who must of known their system was a wrongun) involved seems the only fair punishment.
    define a duplicate!

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied

If I followed witness testimony correctly, the muppets at Fujitsu Support were pulling off transaction records from the Horizon Database, then dumping into Excel in order to manually find (rather than using a macro) and delete duplicate entries. However, it was apparent that by doing it manually, some duplicate transactions were overlooked thus showed up as shortfalls. The utter incompetence of Fujitsu beggars belief.
    Muppets indeed, why did the database indexes allow for duplication and if it was possible why didn't the application provide data sanity checks and recovery?

Then we get to the part where the free money they stole from the Postmasters (not the other way around) was put into executive remuneration Hanging in public by the bollocks for all Fujitsu management (who must of known their system was a wrongun) involved seems the only fair punishment.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

oh I agree no perpetrator should escape but we need quick action on the ringleaders, a few decent fraud, extortion and corporate manslaughter convictions while the smaller prosecutions run on.

Use the small fry to catch the big fish.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Not just the big bosses, and don't spend ages on every bit, get enough easy wins on them and then charged and if guilty short jail sentences and big fines will suffice, the shame of a criminal conviction is enough. This will then free up resources to go after as many of the lower ranks who also submitted evidence such as the lawyers and SMEs. It needs to be such a wake up call that it deters other people asked to sign false statements etc to think twice. You can't tell me that some of the tulips working on Horizon were not cognisant of the prosecutions?
    oh I agree no perpetrator should escape but we need quick action on the ringleaders, a few decent fraud, extortion and corporate manslaughter convictions while the smaller prosecutions run on.

Use the small fry to catch the big fish.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Not just the big bosses, and don't spend ages on every bit, get enough easy wins on them and then charged and if guilty short jail sentences and big fines will suffice, the shame of a criminal conviction is enough. This will then free up resources to go after as many of the lower ranks who also submitted evidence such as the lawyers and SMEs. It needs to be such a wake up call that it deters other people asked to sign false statements etc to think twice. You can't tell me that some of the tulips working on Horizon were not cognisant of the prosecutions?
    Were they involved too?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

Well charge the big bosses of fraud & perverting the cause of justice (according to the cop this morning)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X