• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Zero hours contracts are part time jobs and most people working zero hours contracts want a zero hours contract because they don't want a full time job i.e. students and mothers.
    Untrue, in some cases, that's is how they are sold.
    Obviously they are useful in that particular scenario, but there are many "full" time jobs being set up this way.
    That's is the problem with them, especially if that someone is the main breadwinner.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      so why is there a problem with them?
      Because people have decided it is a drum they want to bang to gain some recognition.

We had some zhc people and changed to offer then part time contracts as most were working between 16 and 20 hours constantly - some took it some did not.

Now for me if I wanted work but could get no perm work then you sign on with agencies, any company offering zhc etc etc and if the phone rings and there is work available you go do it.

Not great for people on benefits etc as you then have to sign off, sign on etc and you probably end up out of pocket

Comment

most people working zero hours contracts want a zero hours contract
        Source?

Also, the options are not "full time work" and "zero hours contracts". It's possible to have a part-time job which isn't a zero-hour contract.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Zero hours contracts are part time jobs and most people working zero hours contracts want a zero hours contract because they don't want a full time job i.e. students and mothers.
          Not true with students. They'll want/expect at least one 8-hour shift a week; my daughter quit one job (not naming them) because she had three weeks without being offered any work. They're an absolutely rubbish idea and there should be a move to state a minimum number of hours, or a minimum earning amount each week stipulated.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Some jobs cannot offer anything but zero hour contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Source?
              Some surveys have been conducted, and they tend to show that a majority of those on ZHCs are happy with them, but a significant fraction are not. The problem is essentially the significant minority who are not happy with them. I expect this is a pretty straightforward distinction between the motivation for ZHCs coming from the employers (employees less happy) versus the employees (employees more happy). In the extreme, the former is analogous to forced "self-employment".

Comment

It is a common belief it is those sorts of folks. But it seems belief isn't fact in this case.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Zero Hour contract workers happy

67% of workers on zero hours contracts don't want more hours
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have a zero hour contract. I have 60 contractors beavering away working their little socks off whilst I do F*** all apart from educating contractors on CUK
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I'd expect that it varies from industry to industry and also how many hours an individual is getting.

I would be happy if I'd got 40 hours/week for the last three weeks but deeply unhappy at an average of two hours per week, no matter what the industry. Similarly, if you've got a decent boss who knows that you asked for, say, 25-30 hours pw and you're getting that, of course you'll be happy.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X