• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The demise of Jobserve/Total Jobs etc for IT contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Isn't the issue here that anecdotally there are far less Outside IR35 contracts advertised publicly in 2023 compared to 2019?
    The only winner is the Revenue House.

Actually, the jump between contracting and permanent employment is lot closer, because of redundancy rules and unfair dismissal laws.

2 years employment
    https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-r...redundancy-pay

2 years unfair dismissal
    https://www.acas.org.uk/dismissals/unfair-dismissal

I now this is way off-track of the jobserve / jobsite discussion thread, however for permies there is asymmetric corollary to NLUK's axiom "a contract is only worth its notice period"

"a permie salary is only worth its notice period except when you reach 2 years employment"

Regardless, the only winners are the clients / employers and the Revenue House. So arguing about job bulletin boards and websites in the long run is getting to be irrelevant.
    I think there is a danger long term that contracts (outside of genuine arms length consultancy) and 'permanent' employment begin to merge. Certainly if you consider Inside contracts then it isn't much of a jump to FTC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

2021 was ok as was first half of 2022. Others have said things seemed to have markedly slowed since second half of 2022.

If so then in my opinion it is related to Bank or England and US Fed rate hikes and stopping of QE, which started in March 2022 and rates have been relentlessly increased ever since.

These rate increases also caused a Bear market in US tech stocks and S&P 500 and in the FTSE 250 here in the UK.

It is weird, many other parts of the economy have not been effected much at all (yet).
      Broadly agree with that. Once the industry got over the shock of lockdown I think they quite liked the idea of contractors to keep things going. Was in contract most of 2022 so can't really comment.

IT can have its own recessions. Certainly post 9/11 work was hard to find (I was looking for a permanent job back then) which didn't seem to happen elsewhere in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

The real value in Jobserve and co is in the roles you don't see on it
        Yep.

Keep your contact details the same for over a decade and someone may send you a relevant email/call you at the right time.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

It used to be better in the 70-80s even late 2000's but because of ignorant people like you that do not understand how it works - the ruling class has milked the cow dry.
          You are still unaware of being a slave.

You calling others ignorant is ridiculous. You're a known conspiracy theorist, which is why the "State of the Market" thread was closed. (Speaking of which, mods, can you reopen the thread but ban GigiBronz from it? Issue solved.)

Why are you living in London if you could work remotely elsewhere? What do you think the wealthy among us have been doing for the last decade, living and working in central London? You're a few steps away from losing the plot entirely and need a break from this forum and contracting, from the sounds of it. NCOTBAC.

There are plenty of outside IR35 roles now and yes, JobServe has taken a hit. Platforms experience peaks and troughs, JobServe is no exception.

Comment

+1 for the state of the market thread revival. there's much pain out there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
              +1 for the state of the market thread revival. there's much pain out there right now.
              yeah it seems very bad out there for many skill sets and you have contractors like hobnob who have interviewed for pizza delivery jobs, i hope he is ok..

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                I second this emotion.

Comment

No-one’s checked to see if it’s been reopened then?
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Meee. I find it a useful thread.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Nice one, thanks.

I'm fortunate enough to be in contract but a close pal is experiencing real difficult finding something outside IR35. I like to keep an eye on the state of the market.

Comment

Working...
                      X