• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The demise of Jobserve/Total Jobs etc for IT contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No irony here. I told you in the 2nd post you'd got it wrong.
    I have used Linked in for the last few gigs, however before that I used Jobserve for about 10 years.

Not sure about getting it wrong as such, there are a ton of contracts advertised directly by employers on linkedin now days that don't get on job boards with agencies.

The market is really poor at the minute, as bad I can ever remember it being, however there are lots of roles direct via Linked in now which you hardly ever saw back in the day

I have done a few direct/yuno juno for payment gigs now

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
      The irony is after posting the original post I ended up getting a gig last week off Jobserve
      Part of dealing with the quiet periods is when, as when waiting for bus, they all come at once.

Noticed a bit of end of year uptick this week.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

i've all my clients through jobserve and similars. Now I need to get a new one, market looks slow. hope things haven't moved to linkedin as part of their business model is to charge us for something that was free.

i will stick to the former for a few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post
          i've all my clients through jobserve and similars. Now I need to get a new one, market looks slow. hope things haven't moved to linkedin as part of their business model is to charge us for something that was free.

i will stick to the former for a few weeks
          The permie side of things is very sucky on jobserve. I have seen multiple Java/Kotlin openings all the time past, since mid-March, but I never get the calls:

Java/Kotlin Engineers - 95k
          An award winning Fintech is looking for a number of Java/Kotlin Developers to join their team.
          Salary - 75k-95k + excellent package + benefits on top
          1 day a week in London, 4 days WFH
          Few of the perks
          - You can work 120 days remotely worldwide
          - 26% of their engineering team are diverse
          - Private Healthcare
          - Discounted Gym membership
          Technical Stack;
          - Java
          - Kotlin
          - AWS
          - Kafka
          - APIs

Diversity is now a perk(!). Sheesh

Comment

What sites are people using in their searches?

All of my recent contracts have come from agent approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
              What sites are people using in their searches?

All of my recent contracts have come from agent approaches.
              All my recent offers have come from me phoning past clients, or agents I know and getting in their face.

By the time a job is on any of the sites, it's generally too late. But LinkedIn would still be my go-to, again, use it to contact agents you know or fellow contractors in your field.

It's all about maintaining business relationships.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                Diversity is now a perk(!). Sheesh
                Be prepared to have to put your preferred-pronoun-of-the-day on your signature and Teams/Zoom names.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Be prepared to have to put your preferred-pronoun-of-the-day on your signature and Teams/Zoom names.
                  That is a completely valid view to have. However, diversity is not a perk though.

For me (he/him), I worked with a fantastic DevOps/RubyonRails person called Billy (him) who one day after the Xmas / NYE holiday walked into the office and announced "From now on, I want to be called Billie (she/her)". She was wearing a skirt and plimsolls. This was about 10 years ago now when I was working a contract. It's was flipping hard, and I know it is not Business per se (more General forum), but it is a business and professional attitude to keep in mind. I found it really hard to try to not make the mistake of misgendering "let him run the admin script. Oh sorry. Let Billie spin up the database, she knows the Puppet scripts really well".

When I think about my personal experience, compared to today's society, we were not discussing who was allowed to use which sexual toilet bathrooms on site. Oh goodness what a pickle we have now(?!).

Anyway, let's get back on topic, I think this sort of job advert http://www.jobserve.com/U5lAR is a joke.

How can you be allowed to work 120 days from anywhere on Earth? (I was reading some of the arguments back and forth from the Spanish Nomad Visa thread)
                  Even for contracting, this is problematic for employers and internation tax residencies. It makes me think this job ad is just a honey trap for CVs. Well the agency in question already have my CV, or should have it, and then I am emminently qualified, but I have not been called about this opportunity.

Comment

Anyway, let's get back on topic, I think this sort of job advert http://www.jobserve.com/U5lAR is a joke.

How can you be allowed to work 120 days from anywhere on Earth? (I was reading some of the arguments back and forth from the Spanish Nomad Visa thread)
                    Even for contracting, this is problematic for employers and internation tax residencies. It makes me think this job ad is just a honey trap for CVs. Well the agency in question already have my CV, or should have it, and then I am emminently qualified, but I have not been called about this opportunity.

Not only is it 120 days a year from anywhere on Earth, but you still need to be in London 1 day per week.
                    So, yes, in theory you work Monday of week 1 in London, then fly out Monday evening to your place in Spain/Italy/Greece/Anywhere on Earth...that you can get to, but still be online by 9am on Tuesday.
                    You then stay at your foreign residence until the following Thursday, and when your UK working hours are done, catch a flight back to the UK for the Friday. Spend the weekend in London and rinse/repeat.

The idea of flying to London for 1 day a week sounds like hell to me, and if you're only allowed to be abroad 120 days a year, that means that for another 80(ish) days of the year you need to be staying in the UK on top of your 1 day per week. So, you need a property in Spain, one in the UK (outside London?) and accommodation in London. And pay for all of that plus your flights out of £70k (which we all know is what £75-95k actually means)

...it's a "no" from me.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

- 26% of their engineering team are diverse
                      WTF does this actually mean? Non-Caucasian, non-European, non-binary, neurodiverse etc? I'm very happy to have anyone of any background as my work colleague, as long as they can actually do the job, but this seems a meaningless use of the adjective.

Comment

Working...
                      X