• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The demise of Jobserve/Total Jobs etc for IT contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    yeah it seems very bad out there for many skill sets and you have contractors like hobnob who have interviewed for pizza delivery jobs, i hope he is ok..
    Thanks for thinking of me. Things seem to be picking up a bit, with one (IT) interview today and another tomorrow. This happened just after I updated my LinkedIn profile: in particular, I did one of their skills assessments, and I linked my skills to previous roles/certifications. However, I don't know whether that's coincidence or causality. I've applied for a few things via JobServe, but I haven't had any luck with them yet.

I don't know whether the interviews will actually lead to anything, but it gives me a minor dilemma:
    * Today's interview is for a permie job (£55k), so I think they'd expect me to stick around for 2-3 years. It's hybrid (at least 2 days per week in the office), and that will be 2 hours each way by public transport. If I get a car, that will reduce it to 1 hour each way, but I won't be able to afford that for a couple of months.
    * Tomorrow's interview is for a contract (£400/day inside), but it's 5 days a week in London, which will eat a chunk of that income, and it's for 12 months.

I've also had my CV submitted for a third role:
    * Contract (£450/day inside), hybrid. 2½ hours each way by public transport, or 1 hour by car. The job description said 1-2 days per week in the office, but the recruitment agent claims that it's more likely to be 1-2 days per month. Either way, that's initially a 3 month contract.

None of them are ideal, but any of them are better than delivering pizza, and they'd all cover my bills. Given the choice, I'd go for the third role, but if I get an offer from either of the first two then I don't know whether I can risk turning it down in the hope of something better. I'll do my best to stall for time, but I'm conscious of "a bird in the hand..."

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
      Given the choice, I'd go for the third role
      It depends if you think a renewal is likely after 3 months, otherwise it could mean another few months on the bench again in 3 months.

I would go for the 12 month contract if you get offered, yeah the rate is really tulipe and its inside and 5 days in the office, but if the market picks up you can always leave for a remote/hybrid role at better rate.

Im glad things seem to be getting better. Maybe it is the April new tax year effect coming into play..
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 31 March 2023, 18:24.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

Nice one, thanks.

I'm fortunate enough to be in contract but a close pal is experiencing real difficult finding something outside IR35. I like to keep an eye on the state of the market.
        If your pal is experiencing difficulty why are they limiting their search to outside gigs?

Comment

* Today's interview is for a permie job (£55k), so I think they'd expect me to stick around for 2-3 years. It's hybrid (at least 2 days per week in the office), and that will be 2 hours each way by public transport. If I get a car, that will reduce it to 1 hour each way, but I won't be able to afford that for a couple of months.
          * Tomorrow's interview is for a contract (£400/day inside), but it's 5 days a week in London, which will eat a chunk of that income, and it's for 12 months.
          * Contract (£450/day inside), hybrid. 2½ hours each way by public transport, or 1 hour by car. The job description said 1-2 days per week in the office, but the recruitment agent claims that it's more likely to be 1-2 days per month. Either way, that's initially a 3 month contract.
          If it were me and I could choose, it would be number 3 then 1. If the roles are comparable and they want someone to commute 5 days a week, I'd expect a pretty premium for that.

Good luck hobnob, hope you land something you're reasonably happy with!

Comment

Thanks for thinking of me. Things seem to be picking up a bit, with one (IT) interview today and another tomorrow. This happened just after I updated my LinkedIn profile: in particular, I did one of their skills assessments, and I linked my skills to previous roles/certifications. However, I don't know whether that's coincidence or causality. I've applied for a few things via JobServe, but I haven't had any luck with them yet.

I don't know whether the interviews will actually lead to anything, but it gives me a minor dilemma:

None of them are ideal, but any of them are better than delivering pizza, and they'd all cover my bills. Given the choice, I'd go for the third role, but if I get an offer from either of the first two then I don't know whether I can risk turning it down in the hope of something better. I'll do my best to stall for time, but I'm conscious of "a bird in the hand..."
            As a contract is only good when they still want you I tend to go for the higher earning one (or to be more exact the more profitable one after expenses such as travel). That said if the three month one doesn't sound likely to extend and the twelve month one sounds like it might go full term then you have a choice to make.

Comment

A hard 'yes' on option 3 for me also. 2 would be a plan B. 1 - no way!
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. (And apologies for somewhat hijacking the original thread!)

Interestingly, option 2 is suddenly looking a lot better after today's interview:

Basically, the recruitment agent gave me the name of a consultancy firm, but I actually had an interview with one of their clients. They only want someone for 3 months, and it would be fully remote. I'm waiting to hear back from them now, and I'd need to check the small print (e.g. I might have a 12 month contract with the consultancy, with the first 3 months at client X). However, in the short term this would solve my cashflow problems, and then I can re-assess in 3 months to see what my options are (e.g. getting an outside contract).

This also overlaps with another thread:
                Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
                The recruitment agent has been calling me from a number in Poland, and doesn't speak fluent English. When I saw that the consultancy also has their head office in India, I wondered whether this was a scam (e.g. using me as an alternative to make their preferred candidate look good). However, since I've now had an interview with the "real" client, that seems unlikely. So, maybe the moral of the story is not to be too quick to write off potential opportunities?

Comment

I am sure you will be fine but the other problem is actually getting something over the line at the moment. I have aced interviews only to have someone who worked there previously become available at the last minute and had requirements change at the last minute or roles just plain evaporate.

I suspect this isn't actually anything to do with the current situation but you notice it more because normally you would just go and get another contract.

Comment

. However, since I've now had an interview with the "real" client, that seems unlikely. So, maybe the moral of the story is not to be too quick to write off potential opportunities?
                    Every potential opportunity I have ever had from agents has been a time-wasting opportunity. Perhaps there is 1 in a 100 that is not. I am willing to take the risk of missing that one.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

I think there is a danger long term that contracts (outside of genuine arms length consultancy) and 'permanent' employment begin to merge. Certainly if you consider Inside contracts then it isn't much of a jump to FTC.
                      There has been quite an increase in FTC in last 2-3 years. Some agents I speak to say they try and persuade their clients to go for a contractor or interim (where it makes sense) but often the clients don't appreciate the difference and get fixated on a 'salary' and think, ooh, that sounds cheap.

Comment

Working...
                      X