• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK

This seems to happening more and more this year.

I had calls from Arrows Group UK, which I have now blocked, where their people have poor English: "When you make the CV", "If you would be fine", "you can reply me back"
    I don't want this agency to represent my contracting business. It seems like they have outsourced their recruitment consultants.

And then this morning I had an email from a different company outfit supposedly based in Harrow, HA1, London. They also had an office based in India Pty as advertised on the email signature.
    The email was about a ____ developer job in central London for 6 months. So I thought okay, goody.

So I started reading:

Role: Sr. ____ Developer
    Rate: Competitive
    Job type: Contract
    Duration: 6 Months
    Start date: Oct 1st Week

Job Description:

A unique development opportunity to work for an innovative market leader as a ___ Developer.
    Full Name:
    Please share the following details to consider your interest for this role.
    The job description text appeared all in blue in my Gmail, and at the bottom of the email it read:

Nationality:
    Visa Details (If Applicable):
    Contact No:
    Email:
    Current Company:
    Current role (Permanent or Contract):
    Notice Period:
    Current Rate/Salary:
    Expected Rate/Salary:
    Total Experience:
    Joining time after selection:
    Current Location:

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
    It was complete spam. I just thought this was basic-level bottom of the pyramid stuff. They obviously grabbed my details from JobSite or CWJobs website, because I am looking, but I now believe that this trend of clipper cheap-as-chips cowboy building contractor is very real. Somebody else out there falling for the hook like a fish and it ain't me.

See also the thread State of the Market from a few weeks ago!

Yup.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      but I now believe that this trend of clipper cheap-as-chips cowboy building contractor is very real.
      Where have you been, SilverLink, Blackapple etc. have been doing this for ages?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What does it matter if you get the role and they pay your invoices?

Comment

A bit foolish to just block the Agency based on this. Their contractor division is probably completely separate to this.

I've had some dealing with them and they were decent enough, although I haven't had a gig with them.

Comment

This seems to happening more and more this year.

I had calls from Arrows Group UK, which I have now blocked, where their people have poor English: "When you make the CV", "If you would be fine", "you can reply me back"
            I don't want this agency to represent my contracting business. It seems like they have outsourced their recruitment consultants.

And then this morning I had an email from a different company outfit supposedly based in Harrow, HA1, London. They also had an office based in India Pty as advertised on the email signature.
            The email was about a ____ developer job in central London for 6 months. So I thought okay, goody.

So I started reading:

The job description text appeared all in blue in my Gmail, and at the bottom of the email it read:

It was complete spam. I just thought this was basic-level bottom of the pyramid stuff. They obviously grabbed my details from JobSite or CWJobs website, because I am looking, but I now believe that this trend of clipper cheap-as-chips cowboy building contractor is very real. Somebody else out there falling for the hook like a fish and it ain't me.

See also the thread State of the Market from a few weeks ago!
            This is why you should work sometimes rather than just sleeping for 2 decades.
            This has been happening for ages.
            Ok, now get up from your sofa and go outside and start looking for work in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
              What does it matter if you get the role and they pay your invoices?
              Because you still have to be there under their supervision and you still have to see payment of your invoices. I've never had the displeasure to have to contract through one of these parasites but I did contract with another guy who did. When it came to signing his weekly timesheet they were quibbling about a 5 minute toilet break, a few minutes getting a coffee, I kid you not. It inevitably delayed the invoice payments, week after week. Dreadful state of affairs.

Aside from this, as a matter of principle (yes I'm a contractor, I shouldn't have any), I look upon consultancies as competitors, worse still, if I contract through them, they are creaming off me far more than any agency could hope for and stiffing the client for no real added value. Bill me out at double my rate. Clients must be thick or lazy, preferring to wash their hands of managing their own development efforts. Mostly ends in tears anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                Because you still have to be there under their supervision and you still have to see payment of your invoices. I've never had the displeasure to have to contract through one of these parasites but I did contract with another guy who did. When it came to signing his weekly timesheet they were quibbling about a 5 minute toilet break, a few minutes getting a coffee, I kid you not. It inevitably delayed the invoice payments, week after week. Dreadful state of affairs.

Aside from this, as a matter of principle (yes I'm a contractor, I shouldn't have any), I look upon consultancies as competitors, worse still, if I contract through them, they are creaming off me far more than any agency could hope for and stiffing the client for no real added value. Bill me out at double my rate. Clients must be thick or lazy, preferring to wash their hands of managing their own development efforts. Mostly ends in tears anyhow.
                And I also think that as a contractor they are representing you as a business to the client.
                Each to their own. I don't want an agency representing to me or a client with broken English.
                So it is your own reputational risk to think of.
                I also think if client like investment bank, e-commerce service or start-up is going for these sort of outfits then it transfers probably the projects and the outcome.
                Sure. I could look only at cold-hard cash money, but I rather stay clear for now until they improve substantially.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Where have you been, SilverLink, Blackapple etc. have been doing this for ages?
                  Thanks MrMarkMark for the heads-up on these guys! Mine was IBU Consulting Ltd

I just reviewed my call log only a few years ago (2013) when dealing Arrows Group and they were pleasant enough then. The times, they are a-changing.

Comment

And I also think that as a contractor they are representing you as a business to the client.
                    Each to their own. I don't want an agency representing to me or a client with broken English.
                    So it is your own reputational risk to think of.
                    You think the guys working with the end client isn't well-spoken and credible then? We are treated as cannon fodder, nobody is wasting expertise or money on getting us hired in so we get the cheapest possible drone to deal with our end. The real good people are up at the sharp end winning the business.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X