• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Bit surprised....contractors being told to take time off for 'wellness'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bit surprised....contractors being told to take time off for 'wellness'

    Bit of a funny one that's surprised me and I was wondering if others have had similar experiences.

    My current role is against deliverable milestones via a public tendered bid which I won - so far away from IR35 problems....but....

    I'm working alongside other contractors who are contracted to a different body to myself; they are on a day rate etc. but have all been declared as Outside IR35 - as far as I can see this IR35 determination appears to be accurate....until today....

    The chap I work closely with has told me his client (NOT my client) is making him, and all other contractors, take a week off in Jan or Feb as a 'wellness break'!

    My reaction was 'tell them you're a contractor and it's not their business when you take any breaks' (actually I worded it a bit stronger than that ), but he said when he questioned it he was told there was a bit in his contract that meant he had to take the break.

    Anyone else seen this? Not a general 'shut down' over Christmas or similar but being told you had to take a break at some point over the next month or so for your 'wellbeing'?

    #2
    clients still have a duty of care. I cannot see this as anything other than either the client wanting an enforced furlough period that sounds different, or just as it says for welfare reasons.

    I would only consider it an IR35 problem if they paid the contract for the enforced break.
    See You Next Tuesday

    Comment


      #3
      Yep, it’s an enforced furlough outside of the usual Christmas break.

      Tell your mate to ask them if the project timescales have been amended to include this ‘wellness’ break.

      My guess is that they won’t have been.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

      Comment


        #4
        LOL. Paying inside IR35 contractors for time not worked.

        In my current inside IR35 gig, I've been told:

        1) You're being furloughed (at short notice with no pay) over Xmas
        2) You have to provide your own equipment
        3) No you can't use our subsidised certification stuff (that costs ClientCo nothing), that's only for employees
        4) No you're not invited to company events

        TBH I don't really care 4 (and 3 is only a minor inconvenience), but it does feel a bit like having your cake and eating it.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by cojak View Post
          ask them if the project timescales have been amended to include this ‘wellness’ break.

          My guess is that they won’t have been.
          Nope they haven't been. And as he's part of the testing plan (which I'm consulting on) it's going to stuff things up next week when I thought he'd be available and now he isn't.

          Comment


            #6
            My reaction was 'tell them you're a contractor and it's not their business when you take any breaks' (actually I worded it a bit stronger than that ), but he said when he questioned it he was told there was a bit in his contract that meant he had to take the break.
            You'd be wrong then. You are a supplier to a client and if that client doesn't want you then you suck it up. It's part of the T&M way we work. Client might be completely misguided with this wellness rubbish or it could just be a wheeze to cut the contracting budget down but it is their business and if they don't want you on site for whatever reason then that's that. Complain about it because its stupid by all means, and I'd be with you on that, but don't get ahead of yourself and what you are in the working chain.

            And if it's in the contract then it's a given. Many odd clauses in contracts. Working max of 200 days a year or some figure has appeared in many contracts in the past for example.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #7
              Tell them that you take your wellness breaks on tropical beaches between contracts rather than in cold and wet UK Januarys and Februarys.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                LOL. Paying inside IR35 contractors for time not worked.

                In my current inside IR35 gig, I've been told:

                1) You're being furloughed (at short notice with no pay) over Xmas
                2) You have to provide your own equipment
                3) No you can't use our subsidised certification stuff (that costs ClientCo nothing), that's only for employees
                4) No you're not invited to company events

                TBH I don't really care 4 (and 3 is only a minor inconvenience), but it does feel a bit like having your cake and eating it.
                2 would be a complete no for me. Sorry but I don't want to connect my systems to your network.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                  Tell them that you take your wellness breaks on tropical beaches between contracts rather than in cold and wet UK Januarys and Februarys.
                  Or go skiing.
                  {emotionless greeting}

                  Three Word Slogan

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by eek View Post

                    2 would be a complete no for me. Sorry but I don't want to connect my systems to your network.
                    Agreed if the gig is inside IR35 they need to provide the equipment.

                    I would have simply said I don't have a laptop/PC suitable for doing their kind of work on.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X