• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

Not sure that stacks up. I have a dev team out in Romania working on a project for me (its a software house my business partner part owns). They wouldn't do it for £250 a day. £350 probably.
    Yeah I wasn't sure whether £250 would be enough, then again a software house probably charges more to cover extra costs vs a single contractor?

Comment

Contract Details:
      • Duration: 6 months (views to extend)
      • Day Rate: £200-£250 (depending on experience)
      • Determination: OUTSIDE IR35
      • Start Date: ASAP
      They do provide a fuel card though! Wear and tear on your Discovery?

Comment

To the lady that emailed me today about whether I was available to fill a Landscape Architect role in Dublin working for a property management company, thankyou, I think you have just marked the bottom of the market.

You might be on the streets, starving but the only way is up from here boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          To the lady that emailed me today about whether I was available to fill a Landscape Architect role in Dublin working for a property management company, thankyou, I think you have just marked the bottom of the market.

You might be on the streets, starving but the only way is up from here boys.
          I know a couple of Enterprise Architects who get one contact a year asking if they are interested in a town planning role

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

But wouldn't that be fraud and the local plod would be put on the case and come after you for being a naughty boy?

Do you think it's OK to commit fraud just because of the low day rate?
            It is not fraud, it is 'thinking time' and is fully billable in my book. You can spend 6 hours a day thinking about a solution and two hours on the keyboard. I would prefer that, over a code monkey who churns out spaghetti code for 8 hours without thinking about it.

Thinking time can be subconscious as well, actually maybe better done subconsciously. So do something else, whatever you like for six hours and let that part of your brain work out the best solution for the client in that time.

Actually there is something to be said about working for a client as a skilled knowledge worker: You are actually working 168 hour a week for them. Because you are always thinking about the problem you are solving for them in the background, subconsciously , even as you sleep. You often get the result of this overnight thinking when taking a shower in the morning.
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 8 June 2023, 17:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              It is not fraud, it is 'thinking time' and is fully billable in my book. You can spend 6 hours a day thinking about a solution and two hours on the keyboard. I would prefer that, over a code monkey who churns out spaghetti code for 8 hours without thinking about it.

Thinking time can be subconscious as well, actually maybe better done subconsciously. So do something else, whatever you like for six hours and let that part of your brain work out the best solution for the client in that time.

Actually there is something to be said about working for a client as a skilled knowledge worker: You are actually working 168 hour a week for them. Because you are always thinking about the problem you are solving for them in the background, subconsciously , even as you sleep. You often get the result of this overnight thinking when taking a shower in the morning.
              I agree, but I guess my point would be that multiple 900pd gigs also wouldn't be fraud right?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

I agree, but I guess my point would be that multiple 900pd gigs also wouldn't be fraud right?
                It's only fraud if you falsify your timesheets. Or otherwise try and get paid for work not actually done.

The number of clients/contracts is immaterial.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

It's only fraud if you falsify your timesheets. Or otherwise try and get paid for work not actually done.

The number of clients/contracts is immaterial.
                  What about Fraidycat's comment on what work actually means?

Comment

BAML in Bromley and Sky in Osterley are the only firms looking for contractors with my skillset.

Then again they are always looking because both are a tulip commute to Siberia.

Comment

Beginning to find this whole multiple contracts discussion a bit boring now.

Comment

Working...
                      X