• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    There is no point earning 110k in the uk if you can barely raise your children, it is just indentured servitude with few extra steps.
    Sorry if I'm missing some context. Are you saying a family can't live comfortably on a 100k+ income in the UK?

Comment

There is not a single scenario that I can think of that would bring a positive light to the entire situation. I would sell car, house or any possessions as well and reconsider life in a place with lower cost of living / better quality of life / better climate. Do only remote roles where you can consider lower pay, return only when necessary (high paying contract). Do not hold assets that can be hard to offload (house, car, furniture etc)

There is no point earning 110k in the uk if you can barely raise your children, it is just indentured servitude with few extra steps.

this guy gets it.
      That guy's a buffoon and scam artist (pumped his own tulip coin).

Do you lead by example, you have a EU passport right, have you left the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

That guy's a buffoon and scam artist (pumped his own tulip coin).

Do you lead by example, you have a EU passport right, have you left the UK?
        He might be a buffoon and has an odd sense of humor but he is right.

There are options even if you don't have an EU passport. I've been to Spain for about 1.5 months, then around 2 months in Romania. Airbnb's if picked well are a lot less expensive than rent in London. If you share it with other people even cheaper. I still keep a base in London but if I were to work for 5k and give 4k in rent and bills and food I would be stupid. You can get by with 1.5k in Romania or 2k in South of Spain easily.

If you have a group of friends, Southern Asia is still an option.

Ironically in Romania roles are still fully remote, and €3k around there is equivalent to a lot more around here. (not that I would consider working there for now)

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Sorry if I'm missing some context. Are you saying a family can't live comfortably on a 100k+ income in the UK?
        Comfortably in ignorance yes. 100k is 5.5k net. Assuming you do not have student loans (many do):
        - childcare is about 1.5k, then you might also need a nanny for some days of the week. (unless wife doesn't work), in London is a lot more than that.
        - food 3 people, about 1k unless you are stingy and will pay in health later in life.
        - rent ... from 2k if you leave further from London to 3k easily if you live in London.

Without saying that anything half decent in London, 2 bed, slightly less stabby area, commutable to central (most of the roles are hybrid) is 3k AT LEAST.

So you are at 4.5k in expenses, living in a dingy 2 bed flat (2k flat bills included doesn't get you anything better even outside of London but commutable distance. Excluding children clothes, a pram that costs the same like a SH golf, and all the costs that come with raising a child.)
        You save 12k per year excluding emergencies, transportation, eating out, 1-2 holidays per year.

How are you people engineers if you cannot do basic math on the back of a napkin? You are a slave and don't even recognise it.

Comment

Airbnb's if picked well are a lot less expensive than rent in London. If you share it with other people even cheaper. [...]
          With London being in top most expensive cities to live in the world, it's no surprise Romania is cheaper (not knocking Romania, never been, but it's bound to be cheaper). There's cheaper options, you can go to Bulgaria, or even Belarus, but it's hardly going to be comparable to London and what's available there (yes the crime is tulipe, but I'm talking about cultural related things, food etc.). Poland / Czechia would be much better, but of course more expensive.

Btw it's not just London being expensive, the whole of Surrey is silly prices, with 500k buying you a tulip one floor "house" with 40sqm per level with a dingy "garden". Lovely area, green as hell, but the properties and prices are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

With London being in top most expensive cities to live in the world, it's no surprise Romania is cheaper (not knocking Romania, never been, but it's bound to be cheaper). There's cheaper options, you can go to Bulgaria, or even Belarus, but it's hardly going to be comparable to London and what's available there (yes the crime is tulipe, but I'm talking about cultural related things, food etc.). Poland / Czechia would be much better, but of course more expensive.

Btw it's not just London being expensive, the whole of Surrey is silly prices, with 500k buying you a tulip one floor "house" with 40sqm per level with a dingy "garden". Lovely area, green as hell, but the properties and prices are a joke.
            I live in a 2 bed flat, my flatmate left for greener pastures so I airbnb his room long term.(min 2-3 weeks but I get people for months easily, they have no lodger rights so can't decide to overstay) That pays for the entire flat, I still have a place to return here and can mind my own business around Europe.

You get to explore new things, meet new people, see new places and enjoy sun. Isn't that what life is? Or you are supposed to see trans statues and count them as culture?

The issue is that salaries are not adjusting to the cost of living. Even London, you can't do anything but breath without spending £20pd. Even Santander bikes are now 1.65 to start, 1.65 for first 30 min. So you pay 5£ for most of the trips of 1h. How was this supposed to be affordable I do not know?

What food? Food is better in Eastern Europe than London, miles away. Unless you can afford to eat in top restaurants, London food is a joke.

Comment

He might be a buffoon and has an odd sense of humor but he is right.

There are options even if you don't have an EU passport. I've been to Spain for about 1.5 months, then around 2 months in Romania. Airbnb's if picked well are a lot less expensive than rent in London. If you share it with other people even cheaper. I still keep a base in London but if I were to work for 5k and give 4k in rent and bills and food I would be stupid. You can get by with 1.5k in Romania or 2k in South of Spain easily.

If you have a group of friends, Southern Asia is still an option.

Ironically in Romania roles are still fully remote, and €3k around there is equivalent to a lot more around here. (not that I would consider working there for now)

Comfortably in ignorance yes. 100k is 5.5k net. Assuming you do not have student loans (many do):
              - childcare is about 1.5k, then you might also need a nanny for some days of the week. (unless wife doesn't work), in London is a lot more than that.
              - food 3 people, about 1k unless you are stingy and will pay in health later in life.
              - rent ... from 2k if you leave further from London to 3k easily if you live in London.

Without saying that anything half decent in London, 2 bed, slightly less stabby area, commutable to central (most of the roles are hybrid) is 3k AT LEAST.

So you are at 4.5k in expenses, living in a dingy 2 bed flat (2k flat bills included doesn't get you anything better even outside of London but commutable distance. Excluding children clothes, a pram that costs the same like a SH golf, and all the costs that come with raising a child.)
              You save 12k per year excluding emergencies, transportation, eating out, 1-2 holidays per year.

How are you people engineers if you cannot do basic math on the back of a napkin? You are a slave and don't even recognise it.
              That's not really my point.

1) Are you still a UK resident
              2) If the answer to 1) is yes, why are you still here in light of your gripes?

Comment

I always love how these threads end up as London v outside the UK, completely ignorant of the fact that there's plenty of other places in the UK that can be as enriching. People make life choices (children, social life, proximity to amenities etc) but don't want to make compromises elsewhere in their lives to account for those choices.

Anyone who can't live comfortably on 100K+ has either made bad life choices or needs to reconsider their life choices. Have some self-accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

That's not really my point.

1) Are you still a UK resident
                  2) If the answer to 1) is yes, why are you still here in light of your gripes?
                  I have been away most of this year and the previous. Had an outside contract June-November last year then spent time away.

I only come when there is a guest change at the apartment to check the state of things, do some shopping, meet some friends.

And still hope to bag an outside contract at a good rate that would justify my existence here. (for which I would take temporary accommodation then f*** off again at the end)

And I can afford a better lifestyle than people on 100k per year while working only a few months. I could probably get by with 25k net per year...

Unfortunately for me I got a minor health issue that requires for me to be on a strict diet. Which would make my life very difficult commuting 2-3 per week, cooking at home and taking something with me. 1-1.5h commuting, 1h cooking per night, f*** that. So I had to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    I always love how these threads end up as London v outside the UK, completely ignorant of the fact that there's plenty of other places in the UK that can be as enriching. People make life choices (children, social life, proximity to amenities etc) but don't want to make compromises elsewhere in their lives to account for those choices.

Anyone who can't live comfortably on 100K+ has either made bad life choices or needs to reconsider their life choices. Have some self-accountability.
                    you'd have plenty of time to re-consider your life choices when your work is in central London, your train gets cancelled and you regularly spend 3h per day commuting at an extortionate cost coming from bum fu** nowhere where you live.

To be frank I do not even think that you people ever worked in the UK, is anyone paying you to post here?

Comment

I live in a 2 bed flat, my flatmate left for greener pastures so I airbnb his room long term.(min 2-3 weeks but I get people for months easily, they have no lodger rights so can't decide to overstay) That pays for the entire flat, I still have a place to return here and can mind my own business around Europe.

You get to explore new things, meet new people, see new places and enjoy sun. Isn't that what life is? Or you are supposed to see trans statues and count them as culture?

The issue is that salaries are not adjusting to the cost of living. Even London, you can't do anything but breath without spending £20pd. Even Santander bikes are now 1.65 to start, 1.65 for first 30 min. So you pay 5£ for most of the trips of 1h. How was this supposed to be affordable I do not know?

What food? Food is better in Eastern Europe than London, miles away. Unless you can afford to eat in top restaurants, London food is a joke.
                      Except for most people living here in the UK, there's a 90/180 day rule on visiting the Schengen zone post-Brexit.

I think you're living in a bubble here. Not everybody lives or wants to live in London or the South East. I've lived in Surrey, Sussex and mid-week in London over a 10 year period. Enjoyed it but I prefer it up here in Yorkshire, my place of birth, or Southern Spain where I have a holiday home, but I couldn't live there permanently.

Comment

Working...
                      X