• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andromedan View Post

Maybe you should use chatGTP voice and outsmart them next time by repeating what they asked and reading the answers... ( obviously, I'm joking, but hey I might be serious...)
    I thought I would ask ChatGPT to see what the reaction would. ChatGPT agreed they are being stupid lol

You
    Name all the javascript functions

ChatGPT

Listing all JavaScript functions would be impractical, as there are countless built-in functions and libraries available. However, I can provide you with a list of some commonly used and fundamental functions in JavaScript. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list, and new functions may be added over time. Additionally, developers can create their own functions as needed.
    1. alert(): Displays a dialog box with a message.
    2. console.log(): Outputs a message to the console.
    3. prompt(): Displays a dialog box that prompts the user for input.
    4. confirm(): Displays a dialog box with a specified message and OK/Cancel buttons.
    5. setTimeout(): Calls a function or evaluates an expression after a specified number of milliseconds.
    6. setInterval(): Calls a function or evaluates an expression at specified intervals.
    7. parseInt(): Parses a string and returns an integer.
    8. parseFloat(): Parses a string and returns a floating-point number.
    9. isNaN(): Checks if a value is NaN (Not a Number).
    10. typeof(): Returns a string indicating the type of a variable.
    11. String(): Converts a value to a string.
    12. Number(): Converts a value to a number.
    13. Array(): Creates a new array.
    14. Object(): Creates a new object.
    15. JSON.parse(): Parses a JSON string and returns a JavaScript object.
    16. JSON.stringify(): Converts a JavaScript object to a JSON string.
    17. Math.random(): Returns a random number between 0 (inclusive) and 1 (exclusive).
    18. Math.floor(): Rounds a number down to the nearest integer.
    19. Math.ceil(): Rounds a number up to the nearest integer.
    20. Math.round(): Rounds a number to the nearest integer.

These are just a few examples, and JavaScript has a wide range of functions for various purposes. Additionally, many libraries and frameworks introduce their own functions for specific functionalities.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I don't think students pay £10k a year to use the NHS. A student visa holder pays about £600 p.a. currently.
      Originally posted by billybiro View Post

Well, FWIW, in my own personal experience (and yes, I appreciate that's highly personal and subjective etc.), the vast majority of the best developers I've worked with throughout my career didn't have a degree (and many never even went to Uni). They were self-taught people who were passionate enough to continually learn and adapt and had been doing it long enough to really hone their skills.

Whilst computer science fundamentals don't really change, the practice of computing (especially commercially) does. University gives you those fundamentals theoretically. Working in the field gives you the practice. And as Einstein once famously said, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
      The best ones I've worked with, at least from a technical stand point, seem to be lone wolf types and rather temperamental which is a bit of a pain if you're working in a team. So what is a benefit on one hand is a rather destructive on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by wettowel View Post

this is pure gold. Next time I get rejected I will send them that!
        One thing I have noticed, certainly concerning front end stuff, is the number of new people have have poured into it in the last fiver years. Just look at the number of boot camps that popped up with the promise of good money after completing the course.
        Last edited by The_Equalizer; 11 December 2023, 03:29.

Comment

Originally posted by codedbypaul View Post
          My last interview was basically, 'Oh you say you know Javascript, name all the functions'. That and I weren't a good fit due to not knowing every new feature of React 18.
          Im seeing more than one agent is realising that clients are asking these silly questions and giving 'hints' to candidates before hand..

So its important to always build a good rapport with any agent you are dealing with..
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 11 December 2023, 06:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
            Plenty of companies insist on a Computing / STEM degree for IT dev roles, so I suggest that what you did 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago definitely can matter. Whether the degree you attained 30+ years ago, if any, has any bearing at all on your ability to do the work, is another issue entirely. Yet still they ask for it.
            I've worked with several organisations recently that have taken out most, if not all references to academic qualifications in job adverts.

IIRC the Big 4 accountancy firms started this trend a few years ago by reducing the mandatory need for a degree for some roles.

If you did a degree 20-30 years ago then in my opinion, it shows you were potentially bright and good at learning. By the same token, I would expect that to be apparent from your work experience since.

Unless the client has a specific policy, or it's for relatively junior hires, I place very little importance on whether a candidate has a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Do they? IME it's HR and only HR who adds 'degree' requirements on to job specs as standard. Unless it's a junior role I don't think hiring managers actually care. TBF I have a degree so I've never been asked about it, maybe non-grads don't make the first cut.

Equally, very senior roles aren't something I'm familiar with, so there might be some kind of barrier, although I think that is more of a class thing. People raised middle class+ seem more likely to have arrogance/confidence than those from working class backgrounds.
              Yes, I think the degree requirement is often driven by HR or 'Talent Management', especially in large organisations.

I'm not a developer but for very senior roles that I see in IT leadership or transformation etc, often an MBA will be specified. This is supposedly to find candidates who have a good mix of business and technology understanding. This has its limitations too as an MBA is still an academic based degree and whilst some subjects like finance and accounting change relatively slowly, there are whole swathes of what constitutes business today that is hardly featured on many MBA courses.

In my late 20s I joined a fairly prestigious large management consultancy. Many of my new peers were from Oxbridge or similar and many had gone to private school. They were definitely more confident than myself (very ordinary university and grammar school.) Maybe occasionally people perceived it as arrogance but mostly confidence (and over confidence.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Im seeing more than one agent is realising that clients are asking these silly questions and giving 'hints' to candidates before hand..

So its important to always build a good rapport with any agent you are dealing with..
                That's why agents ask such detailed questions about the interview afterwards, including what technical questions were asked. When the agent sends the next person out to the same client, they've been told exactly what to prepare for. The agent doesn't care if it's fair as long as one of his candidates wins.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post

That's why agents ask such detailed questions about the interview afterwards, including what technical questions were asked. When the agent sends the next person out to the same client, they've been told exactly what to prepare for. The agent doesn't care if it's fair as long as one of his candidates wins.
                  Of course.

I never supply an agent with interview specifics.

Comment

If you did a degree 20-30 years ago then in my opinion, it shows you were potentially bright and good at learning. By the same token, I would expect that to be apparent from your work experience since.

Unless the client has a specific policy, or it's for relatively junior hires, I place very little importance on whether a candidate has a degree.
                    I completely agree.

Comment

True, but these are not distinct points. A degree matters most in the years immediately after graduation where it opens the doors to demonstrating continued aptitude through practical experience. You can’t judge the value of a degree by its significance at a single moment in a career trajectory, especially 20 or 30 years later.

Comment

Working...
                      X