• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

Still waiting for my extension paperwork, though I'm assured it's on its way. I have to the end of this month.

Congrats on yours.
    Cheers

Going to have to seriously think about my next steps after this contract. Been doing contracting successfully for fifteen years without any gaps but its getting more challenging each year. Probably like a lot of you are thinking its time to go perm. At least for the next ten years or so until I hit the semi-retirement window and then maybe come back to contracting when the kids have left and the mortgage is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

Cheers

Going to have to seriously think about my next steps after this contract. Been doing contracting successfully for fifteen years without any gaps but its getting more challenging each year. Probably like a lot of you are thinking its time to go perm. At least for the next ten years or so until I hit the semi-retirement window and then maybe come back to contracting when the kids have left and the mortgage is gone.
      One would reasonably expect that the more years one has been in the industry, the easier it would be to find contracts but it's not the case for a lot of people lately...

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post

One would reasonably expect that the more years one has been in the industry, the easier it would be to find contracts but it's not the case for a lot of people lately...
        I think its still a reasonable expectation. You would imagine someone like me with 15 years contracting experience stands a better chance than the guy with 2 - if we have the same skillset.

I think there is a point where going back to perm becomes much harder though. I am probably at sweet spot now where going back to perm with the experiences I have had works. Another five years time and I think that gets more difficult. Age discrimination etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          I am probably at sweet spot now where going back to perm with the experiences I have had works.
          For perm, probably the length of your most recent contractor or couple of contracts is important.
          If you managed to get renewed so you lasted a few years, that will look better than string of short contracts when applying for perm roles.
          But the easiest way go perm is, from contractor to perm for the same client.

Comment

An update …didn’t get the contract role was very optimistic ticked all the boxes and got positive feedback but they took someone at a lower rate 😞.
            It’s soul destroying…

Perm job looks like it’s not happening either…
            They’d quite a wide salary range and I pitched myself mid range …no news today as promised so am thinking it’s a no. It’s so difficult getting a role and age is an issue I feel. Had 2 interviews for that one and felt confident.
            they seemed very keen but my gut is again they can get someone cheaper …

Got a second interview for a FTC 6 months next week but am losing the will…

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post

not as simple as that

- there are generally more junior roles (based on pyramid)
              ​​​​​​- these roles pay lower so a company can hire 10 BAs to throw money/bodies at a project when it goes Pete tong as opposed to one programme manager on a huge rate raising eyebrows amongst the big cheeses
              - more attritional for junior roles (300pd bod more likely to move than senior person on 1000 as they chase the higher rate)

I guess the flip side of the coin is that a junior person is more replaceable, in my experience (FS) generally based on attitude. A hardworking BA is preferred to a clever but lazy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                An update …didn’t get the contract role was very optimistic ticked all the boxes and got positive feedback but they took someone at a lower rate 😞.
                It’s soul destroying…

Perm job looks like it’s not happening either…
                They’d quite a wide salary range and I pitched myself mid range …no news today as promised so am thinking it’s a no. It’s so difficult getting a role and age is an issue I feel. Had 2 interviews for that one and felt confident.
                they seemed very keen but my gut is again they can get someone cheaper …

Got a second interview for a FTC 6 months next week but am losing the will…
                You can never really know the reason for a rejection so no point dwelling on it. Just got to keep swinging until something hits.

For what it's worth I'm starting to see some sparks of life in my area, some sort of weird end of year rush? Had an old contact let me know their team has just been approved for a dozen new roles after a prolonged hiring freeze.

Comment

Experience is an advantage sometimes and a disadvantage at other times. I got my recent contract on the back of having been in the industry for 25 years, the last 15 in contracting in a variety of sectors and they decided I was a good bet to hit the ground running and turn round a failing project.

On the downside I think some managers don't want contractors who might be a challenge to them (or a perceived challenge) so tend to get in less experienced people.

As for day rate, I wouldn't expect to get anymore money than I was getting five or ten years ago purely because I have doing it longer. That get decides by the skills relevant to the role, market forces and your ability to negotiate.

Comment

Re the day rate that was inside £425 previously I was earning more outside but outside roles non existent pretty much nowadays and rates have dropped.

They took someone who was willing to do the gig for £300 inside…that’s what it came down to!

That is what you are up against lot if people on the market …

I agree they don’t want experience in some cases as they can feel threatened…if come across that on several occasions…

Comment

Thought I was about to join the 'new contract before Christmas' club, but annoyingly they 'went with someone they already knew'.

Comment

Working...
                      X