• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Scala, DevOps/SRE and being SC cleared would make some one 'most wanted' in the industry. But Alas,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.03.53.png
Views:	558
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4279925

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
      I thought Scala, DevOps/SRE and being SC cleared would make some one 'most wanted' in the industry. But Alas,

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.03.53.png Views:	0 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	4279925
      I immediately wanted to delve deeper in his/her Linkedin profile as a nosey parker and then I caught myself, because I felt sad. Kicking sb when they are down in the dumps is not cool.
      • DevOps has only existed since 2010/2011, The Phoenix Book, Gene Kim et al.
      • Scala is one those skills that I replied back to [ToDude?] about in another CUK thread, can't remember which one though. The fractious in-fighting inside Scala eco-system has led to its demise and reputation within the global developer community as well as new competition from Kotlin and a resurgent Java.
      • SRE (site reliability engineer) is still a very much needed skill: monitoring cloud, systems, website and also security platform-ops are still required.
      I don't know, but maybe it is , as many already opined, the case with the Price of Bentley cars / the mythical Skills Shortage - paying pennies to your dedicated SecDevOps / senior PlatOps is corporate organisation suicide; just look at HSBC's mobile app outage - 10 days ago; the news just got buried., only because the World, luckily for HSBC's sake, is more concerned with the outcome of the Middle East; in another regular time, it would have been serious damage and reputational risk.

I also think that a lot of people lie about their skill set; they increase the number of years of knowing C++, SCRUM or Kotlin ("I had 15 years of Kotlin"). Go figure.

Thanks BigDataPro for your evidence of a Begging Post. I went looking for examples in my feed and my connection and I couldn't find one. Maybe I killed enough LinkedIn notifications so it is a flat pulse. Yes. The State of the Market is utter tulip (contract or FTC or perm). Shambolic. It is quite literally stunning.
      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 6 December 2023, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.03.53.png
Views:	558
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4279925
        Seen this today, even without Scala, devops + SC should be enough to land something. Strange, but you have no idea how he comes through in interviews, also it seems the market is dead for devops now, so the SC probably doesn't make much of a difference.

On the other hand, half or more of his post might simply be a lie, I mean there's some proper mental people in tech, so don't believe everything you see...

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Seen this today, even without Scala, devops + SC should be enough to land something. Strange, but you have no idea how he comes through in interviews, also it seems the market is dead for devops now, so the SC probably doesn't make much of a difference.

On the other hand, half or more of his post might simply be a lie, I mean there's some proper mental people in tech, so don't believe everything you see...
          Especially as he is having personal issues beyond out of work. I've known great workers go to absolute tulip when their personal life hit the rocks. When it's your team, you all rally round and share the load and hope they steady their ship. If that came across in an interview? It's going to be a hard pass.

Waiting 3 weeks on outcome from an interview for a role I really want, perfect step in a new career trajectory. HR is adamant it's just HM dragging their feet and no decision has been made.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

What I don't understand is how this person hasn't picked up some temp work at Royal Mail, some shifts a Asda or started doing some UberEats delivering. Something to get the money in. Maybe they have but sometimes you can become a bit blinkered on what you need to be doing to survive. If things are really this bad you need to be doing a bit more surely than just hoping on landing another golden nugget.

Comment

Call me a miserable cynic but, begging aside, wouldn't you want to show some basic attention to detail in a begging post, avoiding typos etc., as well as keeping it somewhat professional (no matter how desperate)?

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

What I don't understand is how this person hasn't picked up some temp work at Royal Mail, some shifts a Asda or started doing some UberEats delivering. Something to get the money in. Maybe they have but sometimes you can become a bit blinkered on what you need to be doing to survive. If things are really this bad you need to be doing a bit more surely than just hoping on landing another golden nugget.
                I think it doesn't occur to many people. I've seen it before where someone has done X for many years and it just doesn't occur to them to adapt and try something different. You get a lot of 'Why bother, they will just dismiss me because i'm overqualified'. Ironically, I think pride plays a role too.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  In other news - someone who knows the recruitment market is saying that Contract work is doing way better than permanent recruitment
                  Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

I think it doesn't occur to many people. I've seen it before where someone has done X for many years and it just doesn't occur to them to adapt and try something different. You get a lot of 'Why bother, they will just dismiss me because i'm overqualified'. Ironically, I think pride plays a role too.
                  There is also a certain amount of I need £x000 a week to live on, it takes a long time to accept that £300 is better than nothing.

equally £300 may pay for food but it probably doesn’t solve other debts continuing to build up
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not one call this week from any agency or recuriter. Time to relax and not stress too much, TBF it's about the only thing we can all do.

Market is tulip
                    Economy is tulip
                    Weather is also tulip

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

There is also a certain amount of I need £x000 a week to live on, it takes a long time to accept that £300 is better than nothing.

equally £300 may pay for food but it probably doesn’t solve other debts continuing to build up
                      The key is to call you situation early enough to do something about it.

Hopefully any contractor out of work is starting from the healthy position of having 6 months warchest built up (hopefully better). Soon as you are out of contract you cut right back and turn that 6 months into 12 months. Then after a month of being out of contract you start picking up whatever work you can to extend that warchest further.

I think in reality some people don't cut back until its too late and probably didn't have that 6 month warchest they should have had. So I guess the idea of swallowing your pride, stop being a snob and picking up some NMW work is probably too far fetched.

I want to be sympathetic but it should take a lot more the six months out of work to floor you to the point where you are posting these begging posts on Linkedin.

I do find it some what offensive that someone thinks they should get selected for a contract over the next guy because they probably didn't do any of the above. Its business, leave the sob stories for x factor contestants.
                      Last edited by dx4100; 6 December 2023, 17:31.

Comment

Working...
                      X