• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    Not one call this week from any agency or recuriter. Time to relax and not stress too much, TBF it's about the only thing we can all do.

Market is tulip
    Economy is tulip
    Weather is also tulip
    I found my last contract before this one over Christmas! Keep going and don't buy into this nothing happens at Christmas idea. If anything, what little there is probably goes unnoticed by a lot of people not paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

There is also a certain amount of I need £x000 a week to live on, it takes a long time to accept that £300 is better than nothing.

equally £300 may pay for food but it probably doesn’t solve other debts continuing to build up
      £300 isn't food though, that's food for 6-8 weeks.

I agree that many people won't or can't sit down and run the numbers objectively. Most people in financial distress wouldn't be able to tell you how bad it is, just that it is bad, many don't even open their letters because they know it is a bill.

Comment

In reality as bad as the market is, we are all very fortunate with where we live.

Always be grateful as we could always be much worse off.
        ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
          DevOps has only existed since 2010/2011, The Phoenix Book, Gene Kim et al.
          Depending on how you define it, I think the concept has been around for longer than the name. Early in my career, I used to work for small companies, where I'd be developing in-house apps, doing sysadmin work to deploy them, and taking support calls from end users.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
            Not one call this week from any agency or recuriter. Time to relax and not stress too much, TBF it's about the only thing we can all do.
            Recruiter who put me forward for a role at a large entertainment firm where i’d worked before said today he’s still not had any feedback. Was hoping the 2 days on site would have weeded out some applicants. Expecting the ‘they went with an earlier candidate / internally filled / funding pulled’ response eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

I found my last contract before this one over Christmas! Keep going and don't buy into this nothing happens at Christmas idea. If anything, what little there is probably goes unnoticed by a lot of people not paying attention.
              I have had a couple of nibbles in the last week which may or may not come to something but it's better than I have experienced in previous runs up to Christmas and someone has to get these contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                I thought Scala, DevOps/SRE and being SC cleared would make some one 'most wanted' in the industry. But Alas,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.03.53.png
Views:	558
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4279925
                TBH if I was recruiting a contractor and saw that I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Permanent employees get a bit of slack for personal issues but we have to leave them at the door.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/business...come-to-office

Nationwide has told the 13,000 staff it had said would not be forced to return to the office when Covid lockdowns ended that they must start coming in from early next year for at least two days a week for most.
                  This seems to be a common trend and many see it as a way to force resignations in lieu of doing redundancies. Although I think Nationwide might fall foul of customs and practices. They publicly announced the full WFH 2.5 years ago and have waved it around to their advantage every chance they got.

By my count Santander and HSBC are the only ones of the main banks to not have announced significant job cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
                    https://www.theguardian.com/business...come-to-office

This seems to be a common trend, and many see it as a way to force resignations in lieu of doing redundancies. Although I think Nationwide might fall foul of customs and practices. They publicly announced the full WFH 2.5 years ago and have waved it around to their advantage every chance they got.
                    The new higher-ups implemented a blanket ban on contractors (with caveats) when I was last there earlier this year. Hence no extension for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Seen this today, even without Scala, devops + SC should be enough to land something. Strange, but you have no idea how he comes through in interviews, also it seems the market is dead for devops now, so the SC probably doesn't make much of a difference.

On the other hand, half or more of his post might simply be a lie, I mean there's some proper mental people in tech, so don't believe everything you see...
                      Came up on my feed too. Dreadful.

Comment

Working...
                      X