• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post

You'll see in a few (permie) job specs that the degree must be from a Russell Group.
    Which is ironic because while that says the person was good at getting A levels the quality of university teaching may not have been that good.

Russell Group unis focus on research and post grad work far more than under graduate teaching
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

[...] My suspicion is the amount of cash a lot of them have been throwing serious money at new buildings including new student accommodation. [...]
      They need to stay attractive otherwise people study elsewhere. UK infrastructure is already tulipe as is, if unis were to follow that trend, you'd see no foreign students as no one would want to both live and study in a tuliphole paying a fair bit of money.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        UK students are loss-making for many universities/courses as home fees have not increased since 2017. You can only cross-subsidise expensive with cheaper degrees to a certain extent. In other words, recruiting from overseas is a matter of survival.
        Okay, so the huge expansion of university places meant the old system (1 in 10 in the dying days of zero course fees) would never work and universities now all have to self fund. Dare I say 1 in 2 is nuts and devalues a degree, or at least means there are large numbers with degrees that won't be of financial benefit. It seemed it was heading that way for quite a while. Basically M.Sc is now the old B.Sc. (or equivalent).

Comment

Okay, so the huge expansion of university places meant the old system (1 in 10 in the dying days of zero course fees) would never work and universities now all have to self fund. Dare I say 1 in 2 is nuts and devalues a degree, or at least means there are large numbers with degrees that won't be of financial benefit. It seemed it was heading that way for quite a while. Basically M.Sc is now the old B.Sc. (or equivalent).
          I'm not advocating for anything, I am simply pointing out that you seem to have a weak grasp of the funding situation of UK universities. If you freeze home tuition fees for many years while costs increase at inflation, then you arrive at the situation where educating home students is a net loss of around £4k per student. Meanwhile, as overseas fees are allowed to increase, it is **blindingly obvious** what universities will do to make up the funding shortfall. Oh look, they did.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Russell Group unis focus on research and post grad work far more than under graduate teaching
            They actually focus on all of these things because they can't afford not to. This is reflected in the various HE rankings across all factors. The reality is that, on the whole, academics at the cutting edge of research also deliver better teaching and students appreciate research-led teaching. On the whole.

Comment

Yes, foreign students are purely a cash cow for universities. At £46billon one if the figures are to be believed. For example, medicine is £30K plus £10K to use the NHS facilities. That's per year. What on earth has happened that universities need foreign student income to survive? My suspicion is the amount of cash a lot of them have been throwing serious money at new buildings including new student accommodation. Oh and university attendance for home students has gone from something like 1 in 50 roughly 100 years ago to 1 in 2. You'll see in a few (permie) job specs that the degree must be from a Russell Group.
              I don't think students pay £10k a year to use the NHS. A student visa holder pays about £600 p.a. currently.

Comment

Confirmation that paperwork is on its way for another 6 month extension. Very relieved given the grim reading on here, when the posts are actually about 'state of the market', and the time of year.

Comment

UK students are loss-making for many universities/courses as home fees have not increased since 2017. You can only cross-subsidise expensive with cheaper degrees to a certain extent. In other words, recruiting from overseas is a matter of survival.

They are loss-making as they are incredibly badly run with huge pension liabilities, they need to be allowed to go bankrupt so they can merge and force real change through the whole sector. Interestingly some of the more professionally run places are creating mini-teaching centres in other cities which will drive out the weaker universities e.g. https://www.ucb.ac.uk/

The chase for the foreign more profitable student is a matter of survival for many of them but they should also be more efficient in what they do.

Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I'm not advocating for anything, I am simply pointing out that you seem to have a weak grasp of the funding situation of UK universities. If you freeze home tuition fees for many years while costs increase at inflation, then you arrive at the situation where educating home students is a net loss of around £4k per student. Meanwhile, as overseas fees are allowed to increase, it is **blindingly obvious** what universities will do to make up the funding shortfall. Oh look, they did.
                    I'm more trying to work out why they went from a situation of no tuition fees and a relatively low number of foreign students (so up to the late 1990s) to the current situation. The fees were supposed to be flexible, dominated by market forces. So a not so good university would cost less than a better one. What actually happened was all universities maxed out the fees. I suppose demand proved such.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

They are loss-making as they are incredibly badly run with huge pension liabilities, they need to be allowed to go bankrupt so they can merge and force real change through the whole sector. Interestingly some of the more professionally run places are creating mini-teaching centres in other cities which will drive out the weaker universities e.g. https://www.ucb.ac.uk/

The chase for the foreign more profitable student is a matter of survival for many of them but they should also be more efficient in what they do.
                      I thought the USS, the pension scheme which covers pre-92 universities, is now in surplus. Some mad turn round, although the previous valuation was March 2000 when the markets were completely on their arse with Covid.

Drifted slightly off topic so I will add that the market still looks bad. I haven't been felt up by a pimp in a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X