• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

As always it depends what you measure and how. Use the criteria used by France for example and we were we aren't in recession. We also can't discount the impact of the swing in inflation over that period.
    if we measure it by this thread, that graph is spot on. it might have actually been worse in the IT services sector.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

As always it depends what you measure and how. Use the criteria used by France for example and we were we aren't in recession. We also can't discount the impact of the swing in inflation over that period.
      Perhaps more usefully, gdp per capita has been in recession since 2022 (with nominal gdp only held up by migration). You can point to other economies and say they suck more, but only from a position of enormous suckitude.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        Spoke to a recruiter about a perm role today. Got the dreaded "you're too experienced for this role".

I could have almost done the role in my sleep and was a six figure salary/nice package. Ho hum.
        I'll translate:

"You're too risky to put forward because you might leave in 6 months when the contract market picks up and I'll lose my commission so I'm putting your CV into the bin"

Comment

Spot on FIERCE TANK BATTLE ! that is the attitude of agencies....

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

I'll translate:

"You're too risky to put forward because you might leave in 6 months when the contract market picks up
            and I'll lose my commission so I'm putting your CV into the bin"

I was aware that was a possibility. I've seen it plenty of times when part of an interviewing panel with a hiring manager who was clearly biased against or wary of contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
              Afternoon all. I forgot to mention that I have been offered an Outside gig recently. I am waiting for a start date subject to vetting checks.
              Potential Congratulations are in order then ....

Is the new contract rate > 2019 rate?

Is the new contract rate < 2019 rate?

What is the percentage difference between 2024 and 2019 rates?

Comment

I think the anti contractor sentiment is being driven more by recruiters than actual clients. I am interested in Perm roles but I can't get the pimps to forward my CV. Frustratingly, any role advertised directly by a company doesn't post the salary which is as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.

Comment

Well I was off the bench for a few months after searching for many more months but due back on it.

Is the market any better than late last year (the worse I'd ever seen in over 20 years)?

Please say yes!

Comment

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
                    Is the market any better than late last year (the worse I'd ever seen in over 20 years)?

Please say yes!
                    Yes*

*No. Not in the UK, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Potential Congratulations are in order then ....

Is the new contract rate > 2019 rate?

Is the new contract rate < 2019 rate?

What is the percentage difference between 2024 and 2019 rates?
                      New contract rate > 2019 rate.

2024 % increase - 25% increase but it includes covering more than one site.

Comment

Working...
                      X