• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I had a HR person last year use tricks like please provide details of all your degrees including the year . Which i think was just them want to know my age without asking directly.
    Possibly but also consider it can be required in certain circumstances, both legally and through policy. If you opt in to the agency regs the agency has a responsibility to vet you including your qualifications. If they didn't they'd not be working the word of the legislation. And some companies need this to prevent fraudulent applications. There are more than enough stories of high profile people committing fraud with qualifications they don't have so you can't blame HR for asking for details sometimes.

You could be right but I'd be willing to bet you aren't. Sometimes agents/HR have to do stuff for reasons we don't understand and you just have to dance to their tune rather than blame them because you don't know.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Possibly but also consider it can be required in certain circumstances, both legally and through policy. If you opt in to the agency regs the agency has a responsibility to vet you including your qualifications. If they didn't they'd not be working the word of the legislation. And some companies need this to prevent fraudulent applications. There are more than enough stories of high profile people committing fraud with qualifications they don't have so you can't blame HR for asking for details sometimes.

You could be right but I'd be willing to bet you aren't. Sometimes agents/HR have to do stuff for reasons we don't understand and you just have to dance to their tune rather than blame them because you don't know.
      This is exactly why I said "Was it from a big Indian consultancy?" because it's much more easier to obtain fake degree certificates in India. Indian consultancies are aware of this. So they ask for photocopies so that it can be verified. It happened to me twice - with Infosys and TCS.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

This is exactly why I said "Was it from a big Indian consultancy?" because it's much more easier to obtain fake degree certificates in India. Indian consultancies are aware of this. So they ask for photocopies so that it can be verified. It happened to me twice - with Infosys and TCS.
        That's certainly one good reason for sure.

Problem is contractors kick off because they have to supply something, they don't know why so get on their high horse about it.

Passports is a common one. Some bod gets asked for their passport and kicks of thinking they are holier than thou saying they don't need to supply and the agent can take a running jump. Said contractor doesn't know anything about right to work checks and the penalties around not checking and/or having people without the right to work on site. So asking for a passport is mandatory, a legal and a client requirement so get back in your box and supply it to them.

Have your wits about you so you aren't supplying it unnecessarily or at the wrong time for sure but don't assume they are wrong every time they ask for something if you get me.

Comment

Problem is contractors kick off because they have to supply something, they don't know why so get on their high horse about it.

Passports is a common one. Some bod gets asked for their passport and kicks of thinking they are holier than thou saying they don't need to supply and the agent can take a running jump. Said contractor doesn't know anything about right to work checks and the penalties around not checking and/or having people without the right to work on site. So asking for a passport is mandatory, a legal and a client requirement so get back in your box and supply it to them.

Have your wits about you so you aren't supplying it unnecessarily or at the wrong time for sure but don't assume they are wrong every time they ask for something if you get me.
          £45,000 fine for employing an illegal worker is a great incentive to make sure you check every passport
          Last edited by eek; 1 February 2024, 14:45.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

£45,000 fine for employing an illegal worker is a great incentive to make sure you check every passport
            Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I've had clients check my passport, with and without other ID, themselves instead of the agency doing it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Market is picking up.
                I have an interview on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I agree, however it's the timing of them asking for things like a passport you need to be wary of. Usually it should only be supplied once you have been offered the contract before it is signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post

I agree, however it's the timing of them asking for things like a passport you need to be wary of. Usually it should only be supplied once you have been offered the contract before it is signed.
                    +1. Precisely. Once you have received & accepted the offer. Usually the client directly requests necessary proofs rather than the agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                      Market is picking up.
                      I have an interview on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
                      Good luck.

I've got two first stage interviews on Tuesday and it looks as though another two could be in the pipeline. Be just my luck to be back in harness before the remastered Tomb Raider games drop.

Also received another enquiry for a Java contract: "Client is offering Euros 200 Per Day for this role as it's fully remote." Told them what my rate was and that was the end of that conversation.

Comment

Working...
                      X