• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    I was requested from the agent and client Co to provide graduation photos, recent photos of the degrees, transcripts and a declaration form to request information from the said educational bodies in order to prove that what I had claimed was indeed correct on my CV.

It was a horrible experience having to ask my dad to find the certificates and to then having to jump through hoops because no-one actually believed that it was in fact true to the letter.

Passports are common requests TBF. They need to ensure that the person who they are are talking too is indeed the person to be represented for the role. I can imagine a lot of passport sharing goes on with people capable of performing the designated role however without the legal capacity to progress beyond the entry requirements.

That being said, I certainly would hope they dont get caught.
    If you ever work for an investment bank they will check on any qualifications you claim to have.

I have never heard of graduation photos being requested though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
      If you ever work for an investment bank they will check on any qualifications you claim to have.
      I've pretty much only ever worked for investment banks, and I've never been asked in over 30 years to provide any proof of my qualifications*, so if they're checking up they must be doing it behind the scenes without my involvement.

* which is fortunate, because I have no idea where my degree certificate is and, as for A and O levels - forget it!

Comment

I have never heard of graduation photos being requested though.
        I've worked for investment banks and they never asked to see qualifications. In fact no client ever has asked for evidence of qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
          I was requested from the agent and client Co to provide graduation photos, recent photos of the degrees, transcripts and a declaration form to request information from the said educational bodies in order to prove that what I had claimed was indeed correct on my CV.

It was a horrible experience having to ask my dad to find the certificates and to then having to jump through hoops because no-one actually believed that it was in fact true to the letter.

Passports are common requests TBF. They need to ensure that the person who they are are talking too is indeed the person to be represented for the role. I can imagine a lot of passport sharing goes on with people capable of performing the designated role however without the legal capacity to progress beyond the entry requirements.

That being said, I certainly would hope they dont get caught.
          I never went to my graduation ceremony - I didn't even pick up my certificate. The only reason I have proof of that is because my mother managed to get it and she kept it framed

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
            I've pretty much only ever worked for investment banks, and I've never been asked in over 30 years to provide any proof of my qualifications*, so if they're checking up they must be doing it behind the scenes without my involvement.

* which is fortunate, because I have no idea where my degree certificate is and, as for A and O levels - forget it!
            Strict background checks have been performed for every bank role I have held including qualification schecks.

Comment

It varies a few months back an agency wanted 4 references from previous employers and all sort of info before they would consider putting me forward for a job.

Ended up they had nothing it was just them after names etc...no job came out of it.

The role I am in now they took no references, no passport details nada...

Comment

I had to provide 10 years of references for a background check for an interim Head of IT role at a FTSE100 company (not in financial services.)

Was a bit surprised to be asked for my degree certificate after HR called me to say they wouldn't pay the £60 fee to get a transcript - 28 years after graduation. My degree was nothing to do with IT.

The checks were more onerous than when I worked in a bank the year before.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                  It varies a few months back an agency wanted 4 references from previous employers and all sort of info before they would consider putting me forward for a job.
                  Nope - they wanted four hiring managers they could approach for business.

Comment

My current contract was up at the end of March, just got offered an extension to the end of the year! They just wanted to give me some assurance early so I wouldn't starting looking around. Little do they know that I'd have left it till mid March. Anyway, just relieved that I don't have to get back on the market.

For context, it's an inside remote PM contract in an FS firm. Lots of regulatory projects in their pipeline that need to get done in the next year so all thanks to the govt and FCA!

Comment

Strict background checks have been performed for every bank role I have held including qualification schecks.
                      Oh yes, I know they do a load of background checks for FS roles, but they've never actually asked me personally to provide much beyond a copy of my passport. So I assume if they want to know about qualifications, they find out some other way.

On a related note, I once went for a contract role (at Nomura, I think) and they queried my A-level choices of maybe 20 years previously, as if that was a useful insight into whether I could do the job

Comment

Working...
                      X