• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post

I agree, however it's the timing of them asking for things like a passport you need to be wary of. Usually it should only be supplied once you have been offered the contract before it is signed.
    That is a good point yes. No sending it in with your CV before you've even got an interview slot for sure. Other valid situations we've seen is where a client requests it despite the agency doing it or an agency out of the blue asks for it after you've started. The former is the client just making doubly sure and they do right as many agents will accept a photocopy rather than seeing it in person so not doing it properly. The other is the agency doing a washup because they've done it badly first time.

But anyway, back on topic....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Age shouldn't matter anyway, if Joe Biden can have the most powerful job in the world at 81 then I can write LOB server side code in my underwear at home at any age

Comment

I was requested from the agent and client Co to provide graduation photos, recent photos of the degrees, transcripts and a declaration form to request information from the said educational bodies in order to prove that what I had claimed was indeed correct on my CV.

It was a horrible experience having to ask my dad to find the certificates and to then having to jump through hoops because no-one actually believed that it was in fact true to the letter.

Passports are common requests TBF. They need to ensure that the person who they are are talking too is indeed the person to be represented for the role. I can imagine a lot of passport sharing goes on with people capable of performing the designated role however without the legal capacity to progress beyond the entry requirements.

That being said, I certainly would hope they dont get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
          I was requested from the agent and client Co to provide graduation photos, recent photos of the degrees, transcripts and a declaration form to request information from the said educational bodies in order to prove that what I had claimed was indeed correct on my CV.

It was a horrible experience having to ask my dad to find the certificates and to then having to jump through hoops because no-one actually believed that it was in fact true to the letter.

Passports are common requests TBF. They need to ensure that the person who they are are talking too is indeed the person to be represented for the role. I can imagine a lot of passport sharing goes on with people capable of performing the designated role however without the legal capacity to progress beyond the entry requirements.

Why did you persist with this agency? I wouldn't have. I am surprised they did not ask for urine and blood samples too!

Comment

I can understand the degree certificate. I had to do something similar for a permie role (giving them photocopies of all my certificates, for degrees and vocational qualifications).

I've only been asked for a transcript when I applied for a postgrad degree (i.e. they wanted more detail about my undergrad degree); I can't see that being relevant for a contract, unless you've specifically referred to stuff that you did during your degree (e.g. "I did a module on database design"). I've never been asked for a declaration form, but I'd put it in the same category.

I have unofficial graduation photos (taken by friends), because I was too cheap to pay for the official photographer. However, I know other people who didn't even bother attending their graduation ceremony, especially when it was several months after the end of the degree. So, it seems harsh to penalise anyone for not having those photos.

Comment

I don't have a degree (unless you include a HND) and don't claim to but I would have outright refused that for a contract.

Comment

Had an approach from a previous client and arranged an interview.

Agency indicated a renewal has been initiated so cancelled interview for no other reason than Canary Wharf is easier for me than St Pauls plus I just don't fancy interviewing for a role I did for two years with glowing feedback.

Hope it won't bite me in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                  Had an approach from a previous client and arranged an interview.

Agency indicated a renewal has been initiated so cancelled interview for no other reason than Canary Wharf is easier for me than St Pauls plus I just don't fancy interviewing for a role I did for two years with glowing feedback.

Hope it won't bite me in the ass.
                  I'd wait until I had a signed contract, a gig I had a few years ago the manager called me into a meeting a few weeks before my contract end date, and said they were really happy with the work etc but the company has a new director and he won't authorise any contractors at all, he asked if I'd go perm and I said no, and he expressed his sorrow that they couldn't renew etc.

Few hours later the agency phoned me and said they're super keen, so happy with my work, will I accept a renewal etc.

Obviously completely talking out of their arse, just making sure I don't start looking elsewhere before they have a chance to get the paperwork etc in order
                  Last edited by FIERCE TANK BATTLE; 4 February 2024, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

I can understand the degree certificate. I had to do something similar for a permie role (giving them photocopies of all my certificates, for degrees and vocational qualifications).

I've only been asked for a transcript when I applied for a postgrad degree (i.e. they wanted more detail about my undergrad degree); I can't see that being relevant for a contract, unless you've specifically referred to stuff that you did during your degree (e.g. "I did a module on database design"). I've never been asked for a declaration form, but I'd put it in the same category.

I have unofficial graduation photos (taken by friends), because I was too cheap to pay for the official photographer. However, I know other people who didn't even bother attending their graduation ceremony, especially when it was several months after the end of the degree. So, it seems harsh to penalise anyone for not having those photos.
                    Someone that's willing to use a fake degree would also be willing to hire a graduate outfit and get someone to take a photo, hardly conclusive proof.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

I'd wait until I had a signed contract, a gig I had a few years ago the manager called me into a meeting a few weeks before my contract end date, and said they were really happy with the work etc but the company has a new director and he won't authorise any contractors at all, he asked if I'd go perm and I said no, and he expressed his sorrow that they couldn't renew etc.

Few hours later the agency phoned me and said they're super keen, so happy with my work, will I accept a renewal etc.

Obviously completely talking out of their arse, just making sure I don't start looking elsewhere before they have a chance to get the paperwork etc in order
                      I guess the client told you about the lack of renewal before they told the agent this fact, so the agent was just going on what the client had "promised" them beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                      X