• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've posted multiple times here - if you want to work in the near future work out what your skills are and how to sell them directly to people online.

There is little chance of contracts or permanent working appearing in the near future unless you are really, really lucky.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
      I see in LinkedIn so many with that openToWork badge sitting there begging for work literally, and churning out and showing off their new certs.
      It is a rather sad looking little thing isn't it. All those people enveloped in their little orange circle of forlorn shame. Peering through from within.

I am guessing recruiters can just look at or search by profiles that say Available in the top segment. The badge of dishonour being entirely superfluous...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        It is a rather sad looking little thing isn't it. All those people enveloped in their little orange circle of forlorn shame. Peering through from within.

I am guessing recruiters can just look at or search by profiles that say Available in the top segment. The badge of dishonour being entirely superfluous...
        Someone messaged me saying “hey noticed you are looking for work” because of that badge and I got some work out of it - so not a total waste of time

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

That is just annoying.

But it's prevalent.

In the last contract, we had to bring on board a consultancy to supply bodies. I found five consultancies, and we had them on a couple of calls each. This was towards the end of last year and I had set the expectation that we would be offering to one consultancy Before Xmas.

Even knowing this, and around beginning December, there were a few that said, perhaps we can talk to two more. I said no. Whatever deficiencies we unearth while working, we Will choose before Xmas we will manage them through the process. And so we chose. And they are still there.

I am a project manager and that was my day off from PowerPoint.
          Good one, you had me until that last line

Comment

I think the new green circle is required to be visible to everyone on Linkedin.
            There is an existing status thats been around for years, but without circle that is visible only to recruiters.

I don't think there is any shame in it, though I think there are so many people using the status now that it isn't easy to differentiate yourself like this. Then again, if your connections pick up on it and help you out then its been worth it.

Whatever you do, DONT do what I did and search the tag #opentowork on LI and view how many people have updated their status in the last 30 mins (or even 10 mins).. that is a sight to behold and it gave me a sore 'scrolling finger'...

Comment

Oh grief, is it green? Am a bit colour blind and stuffs pops out in all sorts of shades.

Am afraid the DON'T was a red rag (or as above, a rag of any colour) and I looked. Yeah, there's one or two right.

Comment

Got rejected from 2 of them contract gigs I interviewed for last week. Despite executing flawless interviews, still didn't get the roles. This has happened quite a few times now, in the last couple months. I would have walked into these jobs pre-Covid as they were easier roles at less reputable companies than my last firm.

My hypothesis can only be that they are either getting way more experienced candidates or equivalent candidates at lower cost. Lost for words really, this is incredibly disheartening and frustrating. Contracting is dead, and I cannot forsee job vacancies getting a leg up until Spring 2021 at the best case scenario.

And to top it all off a well-known asset manager called me up this afternoon, marketing me a senior role at £50k......

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post

And to top it all off a well-known asset manager called me up this afternoon, marketing me a senior role at £50k......
                  Honestly don't think 50k is that bad in the current market. We're in a situation where supply exceeds demand.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                    Honestly don't think 50k is that bad in the current market. We're in a situation where supply exceeds demand.
                    40K will soon be the new £50K next month

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Friday was interesting. Two job offers and a contract offer on the same day. Took the better permie job.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X