• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a three month notice period in this environment is a positive thing. You would be mad to not want that

If you get something else and need to leave you just take it easy during the three months and do very little. Not hard at all

Is the notice period the only difference ? Isn’t FTC quoted as a day rate? I’m still vague on what FTC advantages are

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
      I took the approach of adding a month on either side to reduce the gaps. No problem with that only once went to the screening, but even that isn't a problem because not your CV goes to screening but you explicitly put the companies and dates again into their form and that data goes for a check, not the one from CV. So that is a chance for you to submit more accurate data then in CV.

If you don't want to, that even that is not a problem, as screening is usually done by young fool ladies who simply check the boxes - they never proper screening as it should be and could be walked around in few ways:

1. Simple - just give youк wife's phone and she will confirm them whatever they ask. They don't ask info but just tell whatever you submitted and ask if this is true or false. simple as that

2. Advanced - for those who highly rely on LinkedIn you make create a fake person profile at a company you worked. In advance, of course. Not that one can see it is a fresh profile. Populate it with some corp-alike-looking data and do the previous point.

No one would even go checking beyond THAT. In the very-very bad case, you just risk this contract, but the risk is low
      I don't know what kind of organisations you've worked in but having worked for one major bank and several FTSE100 companies, your approach of blatant lying isn't one I would want to follow.

Comment

I've definitely seen more FTC roles this year for middle-senior management roles, typically £100-125k p.a. and seems to be becoming more noticeable in some parts of the public sector like the NHS. I wonder if this is going to be a longer term trend?

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          Having a three month notice period in this environment is a positive thing. You would be mad to not want that
          That is that 40K job I spoke about above, after doing several years of 600pounds/day outside for the same job activity. 3 month notice period means they have me for at least 3 months cheap-as-chips after giving a notice. Wouldn't count that a positive thing, especially given that I secured a much better job from 1 February. Warchest is good for me, but this 40K job itself is at least quite interesting, the only 2 problems are that it pays so little and that bloody notice period. Otherwise, I'd definitely take it to be occupied for the next 4 months

Comment

That is that 40K job I spoke about above, after doing several years of 600pounds/day outside for the same job activity. 3 month notice period means they have me for at least 3 months cheap-as-chips after giving a notice. Wouldn't count that a positive thing, especially given that I secured a much better job from 1 February. Warchest is good for me, but this 40K job itself is at least quite interesting, the only 2 problems are that it pays so little and that bloody notice period. Otherwise, I'd definitely take it to be occupied for the next 4 months
            Take it and hand in your notice after a month. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              I don't know what kind of organisations you've worked in but having worked for one major bank and several FTSE100 companies, your approach of blatant lying isn't one I would want to follow.
              Most of the organizations were from different industries - just worked for the specific but quite narrow web-oriented business niche. For 10 years only one bank and one semi-govt org did screening plus one more org from a legal sector, but as I said all cases was a young lady simply sending the email and doing calls to the contacts I gave them.

Comment

There will be no penalty clause, just leave on payday and say your not coming back due to personal reasons

Job done

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Take it and hand in your notice after a month. Simple.
                  That was my original question if that is OK to do so. I assume, if 3 months notice in contract works for both sides - than it becomes doable.

Comment

I ve seen many people do nothing during their notice period other than drink coffee and turn up. You are crazy to think it’s bad

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

I'd rather work at tesco then take a programming job for 40k a year.
                      So you say, but chances are you've never worked for minimum wage after having worked at an at least ok permanent job.

Fortunately for me I never had to do it, but my partner got tired of her office job and decided to take a break and work in a coffee shop for a while. All nice and good at the beginning, she was saying exactly what you said about going in autopilot and not having any responsibilities and yadda yadda yadda...2 months later and she was already fed up of the soul crashing/not challenging job and started looking for office jobs again.

So, once again, bulltulip.

Comment

Working...
                      X