• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    You're a petty child. I offered a suggestion that may or may not apply to people
    may apply to a very small minority of contractors, so thanks very much for the enormous help

    Comment


      Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
      Most companies would just terminate you on the spot, walk you off site and no money in lieu.

      The idea you can work a 3 month notice by just turning up and drinking coffee all day or anything close, is ludicrous.

      Yeah, try going to an employment tribunal and demanding the money 'owed' in those circumstances.
      If you have a contractual paid notice period then your employer is obliged to pay you if you 'work' during that time. There's no legal definition of what is a minimum threshold of work I've had to work my nuts off during a 3 month notice period but I've also had a notice period where my boss told me to come into the office for a few hours a day and just get myself ready for my next job. It's uncommon for employers to make you slave away during your notice period and most people do slow down a lot.

      If they have no work for you or don't want you to work then yes, you sit at home drinking coffee on 'gardening leave.'

      Comment


        Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I could quite feasibly disappear overseas for a good few months. It would be a PITA to put all my stuff in storage but otherwise it's not an impossible thing to consider.

        HWMBO may be a bit miffed but in reality it wouldn't require any more co-ordination than we currently go through to see each other.
        that's probably the best advice, save what you can from where you can. if your job can be done remotely and you can give up on your accommodation, go abroad on a budget for a few months.
        you might get some sunlight, explore a different culture and return with a different view on life as well.

        if covid is here to stay, who in their sane mind will pick crammed dump London accommodation over a sea overseeing villa in Spain? restaurants and previous amenities are not to return anytime soon anyway...

        Comment


          Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          that's probably the best advice, save what you can from where you can. if your job can be done remotely and you can give up on your accommodation, go abroad on a budget for a few months.
          you might get some sunlight, explore a different culture and return with a different view on life as well.

          if covid is here to stay, who in their sane mind will pick crammed dump London accommodation over a sea overseeing villa in Spain? restaurants and previous amenities are not to return anytime soon anyway...
          don't let the door slap your arse on the way out.

          Comment


            Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            don't let the door slap your arse on the way out.
            you don't seem to know another phrase, do you?

            anyway, more people leaving the country should benefit us, more pressure on the housing market, less pool of people for the roles. and once they get the taste of freedom they might not get pushed around that much.
            what the establishment is afraid is free people, that are not worn down by financial worries, and they'll do everything to tie you down.

            Comment


              Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

              if covid is here to stay, who in their sane mind will pick crammed dump London accommodation over a sea overseeing villa in Spain?
              Whoever has:

              - a partner working in crammed dump London
              - kids going to school in crammed dump London
              - a mortgaged property in crammed dump London

              Moving abroad, even temporarily, is just an option for young people with no social/financial obligations, a.k.a. the opposite of your average UK contractor.

              Comment


                Had a random call from a lady in China today..

                "Hello CS, I found your profile on JobSite and you look like an ideal match for this job."

                Turns out they're trying to fly me to China to teach English lessons for sub £20k p.a. Flights, digs and training are provided. Just need a uni degree.

                Surely this would suit one of those uni graduates who are now facing unemployment?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Had a random call from a lady in China today..

                  "Hello CS, I found your profile on JobSite and you look like an ideal match for this job."

                  Turns out they're trying to fly me to China to teach English lessons for sub £20k p.a. Flights, digs and training are provided. Just need a uni degree.

                  Surely this would suit one of those uni graduates who are now facing unemployment?
                  Back in March this forum would tell you to rip their arm off (and close your Ltd on the way out)

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    Whoever has:

                    - a partner working in crammed dump London
                    - kids going to school in crammed dump London
                    - a mortgaged property in crammed dump London

                    Moving abroad, even temporarily, is just an option for young people with no social/financial obligations, a.k.a. the opposite of your average UK contractor.
                    I'm young!

                    Comment


                      this thread is morning solace to my soul

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X