• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Personally i always prefer to get the agent on the phone before sending my CV. But thats is not always possible.

I have known some people make their CV searchable on Jobserve, for any agent to find. Never done that myself.
    Years ago that would have been the approach to use - nowadays you are probably way better off making sure your linkedIn network is in a good state and posting your availability there....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I just received this via email ( yes I know it’s low, it's not my comment):

I have just had a 2 month contract opportunity come through for a large publishers who are looking for a front end react developer to join them.
      • Commercial HTML, CSS, JavaScript & React experience.
      • Fully Remote
      • Outside IR35
      • £250 per day – yes I know it’s low.

Please let me know if you’re interested in hearing more.
      Last edited by andromedan; 7 June 2023, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
        That has to be considered as war chest protection, or as a second contract as it is fully remote. And give the client £250 of value per day, no more. Pre Covid you would have had to have been in the office for 8 hours for £250 a day, so it was no way. Now you can 'work to rate' as it is from home.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 7 June 2023, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Stop lying, nobody uses this.
          . I don't like being accused of lying. Plus, you are wrong. Again.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That has to be considered as war chest protection, or as a second contract as it is fully remote. And give the client £250 of value per day, no more. Pre Covid you would have had to have been in the office for 8 hours for £250 a day, so it was no way. Now you can 'work to rate' as it is from home.
            Tbh with you I think the rate is too low and shows what the market is becoming. I'm currently in 650+ which ends soon. I don't mind taking this rate but they will expect me to work at least 4 hours a day. They can put meetings and other stuff. Anyway, is someone else getting almost a few InMails for contracts lately or it's mostly me?

Comment

But wouldn't that be fraud and the local plod would be put on the case and come after you for being a naughty boy?

Do you think it's OK to commit fraud just because of the low day rate?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

But wouldn't that be fraud and the local plod would be put on the case and come after you for being a naughty boy?

Do you think it's OK to commit fraud just because of the low day rate?
                Why? We both know you views on the matter and it's old news we can't be bothered to talk about,

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
                  £250pd is low for people in the UK used to being on £750+ but someone from Eastern Europe with good skills will still think this is a good rate (maybe not Poland as you can earn that locally, but maybe Romania / Ukraine etc.). Or is this UK based only? then it's a bit of a joke, but still in the current climate someone might bite as it's significantly more than £0pd benched.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

£250pd is low for people in the UK used to being on £750+ but someone from Eastern Europe with good skills will still think this is a good rate (maybe not Poland as you can earn that locally, but maybe Romania / Ukraine etc.). Or is this UK based only? then it's a bit of a joke, but still in the current climate someone might bite as it's significantly more than £0pd benched.
                    Not sure that stacks up. I have a dev team out in Romania working on a project for me (its a software house my business partner part owns). They wouldn't do it for £250 a day. £350 probably.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

Not sure that stacks up. I have a dev team out in Romania working on a project for me (its a software house my business partner part owns). They wouldn't do it for £250 a day. £350 probably.
                      Would expect even an Indian outsourcer to be charging more than that.

Got to ask whether the agent is on a fixed percentage or just playing a game of seeing how desperate some people are...

Comment

Working...
                      X