• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    I think if you got caught out in this bear market, its down to bad luck rather than skill.
    Exactly this

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
      Contracting is often a game of luck and being in the right place at the right time.
      Yep, and also karma. Put some effort in, treat people well, fulfill contracts and you'll always have clients to go back to.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Unsurprisingly. It's urban slang or internet shorthand, take your pick. And quite recent.
        Stop lying, nobody uses this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          I think if you got caught out in this bear market, its down to bad luck rather than skill.

IMHO there's nowhere to hide in this type of blood-bath.

I am not looking but the burner has registered zero calls in the past 10 working days and at this time of the year it should be going off at least half a dozen times a day.
          In a bear market you have to have an outbound game, not just sit around waiting for calls.

Bull market contractors allow serendipity to control their careers.

When roles started to dry up and I wanted my second contract (running two together), I email blasted everyone I know in private equity with a one page powerpoint selling myself for any divestment work where they need to carve out a companies finances, operations etc. I landed my second current contract from that outbound campaign.

Nobody is calling my burner either but why should I care? When did you last pick up an industry publication and run an outbound campaign against everyone that wrote an op-ed? There are ways into the market beyond your generic CV and linkedin profile.

Like I keep saying, you need to pick a couple of verticals you are strong in, you're a consultant first and IT guy second: https://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28...-a-programmer/
          Last edited by DrewG; 7 June 2023, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post
            In a bear market you have to have an outbound game, not just sit around waiting for calls.
            When Bluenose reports the status of his burner he is giving us an indication of the state of the market.

We all know in bear markets your network is very important, the people and agents you have worked with in the past.

Just sending out CVs to cold agents, means you get lost in the other 200+ other CVs they get for the few positions they have. Its harder these days to get the agent on the phone to talk to you as well. All Pretty soul destroying, but if you send enough of even those you might eventually get lucky.
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 7 June 2023, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Just sending out CVs to cold agents, means you get lost in the other 200+ other CVs they get for the few positions they have. Pretty soul destroying, but if you send enough of even those you might eventually get lucky.
              Warm send CV, ie in response to an advert. Then call them to discuss. Chances are they will open up your CV and have a quick chat, so you're sure they have seen it.

Not many people are comfortable with that. Either not great sales/social skills or too prideful.

Comment

Just sending out CVs to cold agents, means you get lost in the other 200+ other CVs they get for the few positions they have. Pretty soul destroying, but if you send enough of even those you might eventually get lucky.
                Why would you ever send a cold CV? You're a contractor, an independent professional, the agent is a gatekeeper that you need to get round. It's questionable if an OUTSIDE IR35 consultant should even have a CV.

You need to think about how to communicate with each different persona in the contractual chain, the agent doesn't really give a tulip about your CV (or you), they want to sell you (you are a commodity) to his client as quickly as humanly possible. Your outreach should get straight to the point

"Hello agent, get your commission quicker with me! I will be a VERY easy sell to your client."

Then send a highly targeted one pager. CV can follow when you've hooked them. What's the point in send a bunch of non-differentiated CVs to a bunch of agents that don't care about you?

You should read Harvard Business Reviews guide to communication and sales. Two separate (short) books).

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Why would you ever send a cold CV? You're a contractor, an independent professional, the agent is a gatekeeper that you need to get round. It's questionable if an OUTSIDE IR35 consultant should even have a CV.
                  Personally i always prefer to get the agent on the phone before sending my CV. But thats is not always possible.

I have known some people make their CV searchable on Jobserve, for any agent to find. Never done that myself.
                  Last edited by Fraidycat; 7 June 2023, 10:43.

Comment

Personally i always prefer to get the agent on the phone before sending my CV. But thats is not always possible.

I have known some people make their CV searchable on Jobserve, for any agent to find. Never done that myself.
                    Desperation :P

If things are lean then it can to generate some calls... Thinking back though the few times I have done I don't think it resulted in anything than a lot of wasted time...

Comment

Likewise, I always like to hear the voice of the aberration, before it transitions into a Ghost Never to be seen or heard from again.

Comment

Working...
                      X