• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

I'm here to sell my linkedin coaching course on how to be a successful contractor in a bear market, nobody (out of work or people who THINK they're highly paid) wants to listen to my advice.

No IT contractors are highly paid.

Most are grateful to live a comfortable, middle class life.

Some are naive and unworldly enough to think they are highly paid.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I retired, didn't need to work any more.

You, however, don't even recognise a metaphor when you see one.
      I'm a bit younger and language has evolved. Be clear with what you mean or don't bother saying anything.

BIDI..??

Comment

I'm a bit younger and language has evolved. Be clear with what you mean or don't bother saying anything.

BIDI..??
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I'll go for 71
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

BIDI..??
            It hasn't evolved that far. Try raising your head and looking around you.

HTH BIDI - "Hope That Helps, But I Doubt It". Clearly my doubts were well founded.

"When in a hole etc..."- has a long history, popularised by Walt Whitman as I recall (I know, you look him up). Basically if you want to get out of a hole of your own creation, it's a good idea not to keep making it deeper.

And this all started with you going on about the value of a good, well rounded education....
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It hasn't evolved that far. Try raising your head and looking around you.

HTH BIDI - "Hope That Helps, But I Doubt It". Clearly my doubts were well founded.

"When in a hole etc..."- has a long history, popularised by Walt Whitman as I recall (I know, you look him up). Basically if you want to get out of a hole of your own creation, it's a good idea not to keep making it deeper.

And this all started with you going on about the value of a good, well rounded education....
              HTH BIDI...... My state school didn't teach me that one.

Comment

I'm here to sell my linkedin coaching course on how to be a successful contractor in a bear market, nobody (out of work or people who THINK they're highly paid) wants to listen to my advice.

There is a reason nobody wants your advice, cos you are in your own little deluded world. The market is brutal currently. Plenty of people, likely better and more experienced than you who cannot find work right now. You are probably still in a contract cos of luck and nothing more. I got through 2007-2008 without a care in the world. Whilst others had a right bad time of it. Not because I was better than them but because I was fortunate enough to keep getting renewed. Contracting is often a game of luck and being in the right place at the right time. You thinking you are some super special contractor is pure delusion.

Comment

HTH BIDI...... My state school didn't teach me that one.
                  Unsurprisingly. It's urban slang or internet shorthand, take your pick. And quite recent.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

There is a reason nobody wants your advice, cos you are in your own little deluded world. The market is brutal currently. Plenty of people, likely better and more experienced than you who cannot find work right now. You are probably still in a contract cos of luck and nothing more. I got through 2007-2008 without a care in the world. Whilst others had a right bad time of it. Not because I was better than them but because I was fortunate enough to keep getting renewed. Contracting is often a game of luck and being in the right place at the right time. You thinking you are some super special contractor is pure delusion.
                    It's ok. When the bull market returns, contractors can make money again.

When the bear market is here, only truly independent consultants are making money.

I think you know which one you are so just hug your war chest tightly until the bull market is here again.

Comment

I think if you got caught out in this bear market, its down to bad luck rather than skill.

IMHO there's nowhere to hide in this type of blood-bath.

I am not looking but the burner has registered zero calls in the past 10 working days and at this time of the year it should be going off at least half a dozen times a day.
                      Last edited by Bluenose; 6 June 2023, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
                      X