• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

quantity != quality.
    Non ANSI expression used.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Non ANSI expression used.
      What makes you think I would dirty my hands with SQL?

Comment

What makes you think I would dirty my hands with SQL?

Comment

Assuming you are referring to a technology skills shortage...

There may be no shortage of mediocre Java/C# developers but there are plenty of firms willing to pay well over £100k for top developers.

Most developers are mediocre.
          I remember when this was a board for contractors.

I wouldn’t take a 100k job unless it was a six-monther, and I’m not even mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

I remember when this was a board for contractors.

I wouldn’t take a 100k job unless it was a six-monther, and I’m not even mediocre.
            The post I replied to mentioned employers.

Comment

To get this thread inside the 'contracting' section of the forum back on track.

State of the contract Market: Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                To get this thread inside the 'contracting' section of the forum back on track.

State of the contract Market: Good.
                I'd agree.

I had a month off between gigs because I took a holiday and refused to look for the next one until I got back. Got two offers very quickly.

Comment

Things in project management seem to have gone awry.

I mean the majority of them are now comfortably inside gigs with those that are outside paying criminally low rates.

You’ll get the odd role that’s outside but the majority are now inside which is the safe play. I myself have had to hang the LTD up for now...not even sure if it’ll be used again if things keep going this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
                    Things in project management seem to have gone awry.

I mean the majority of them are now comfortably inside gigs with those that are outside paying criminally low rates.

You’ll get the odd role that’s outside but the majority are now inside which is the safe play. I myself have had to hang the LTD up for now...not even sure if it’ll be used again if things keep going this way.
                    It's very hard to pretend a project management contract is outside when you have employees doing the exact same job.

Developers always have the "we need a very specific skill" get out clause that doesn't exist for things that companies do do on a day to day basis.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

99% of contracts in what I do (Workday) are still inside - despite clients generally having zero people with the same skills, and most assignments being one-off projects, way outside business as usual activities.

I guess it's somewhat dependent on the sector.

There are more contracts about though, which is slightly encouraging.

As I won't work inside, I've been a permie for the last couple of years, waiting it out to see if things improve.

Comment

Working...
                      X