• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an experienced Rust developer and nearly every role I've been contacted about is related to crypto/blockchain. Yeah the market is hot for that tech now, but the meltdown is going to be epic once this crypto hype crashes

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I don't think I will ever adjust to the swings in the market. I finished my last contract in October and didn't even get an interview or frankly any response in 2021. January comes round and I am beating them off with a stick and get a new contract and now I hear the marker is down again.
      Market swing can occur over a weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
        I'm an experienced Rust developer and nearly every role I've been contacted about is related to crypto/blockchain. Yeah the market is hot for that tech now, but the meltdown is going to be epic once this crypto hype crashes
        what is the best way to get up to speed with rust quickly as a front end developer?

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          Echoing a lot of the recent comments on here.

Market very quiet now and when something Outside does come up, the rate is very low, easily back to 2010/11 levels.
          FTFY.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post

Market swing can occur over a weekend
            I started contracting in early 2008 so have gone through three once in a lifetime events in the Credit Crunch, Brexit and Covid so know what you mean.

Comment

Outside rates seem to have really dipped. Inside rates as well but not as much (still about £600-£750 in my industry) but crazy how much things have taken a downturn in just a couple of months.

Ah well, I'm still in contract until August but check the market regularly.

Comment

Today's pimp caller was shocked that I don't have a permanent rate available off the top of my head because I've not needed to consider such a thing for at least 17 years.

They asked me twice in the space of 5 minutes, before and after describing a role to me, just to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Today's pimp caller was shocked that I don't have a permanent rate available off the top of my head because I've not needed to consider such a thing for at least 17 years.

They asked me twice in the space of 5 minutes, before and after describing a role to me, just to make sure.
                  I always have a rate off the top of my head, if it's an agent I don't know then the value will be £50k+ above the market rate for my type of role. That normally shuts them up, and if it doesn't then I push them for evidence that amount is on the table, telling them I won't talk to the client until they prove they can afford me.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I always have a rate off the top of my head, if it's an agent I don't know then the value will be £50k+ above the market rate for my type of role. That normally shuts them up, and if it doesn't then I push them for evidence that amount is on the table, telling them I won't talk to the client until they prove they can afford me.
                    I just haven't given it any serious thought, I know what day rate I'll get out of bed for but permie rates aren't just about the salary so spouting a number doesn't mean much really.

I'll do the job for £50k - hurray!

Plus 6 months paid holiday a year...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I just haven't given it any serious thought, I know what day rate I'll get out of bed for but permie rates aren't just about the salary so spouting a number doesn't mean much really.

I'll do the job for £50k - hurray!

Plus 6 months paid holiday a year...

You want a role with unlimited holiday.

The only problem with them is that people don't take the time off so you have to calculate the best way to get months off in one go.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X