• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Working 4 days / 3 nights in London for me will cost the best part of £800 minimum (train / flight with an OK hotel and meal attached).
    Is that per week or month?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      Is that per week or month?
      per week.

Early morning train fare is £280 (return) or so, hotel £160 for anything half decent. Back in 2016 I remember 3 nights in Southwark Travelodge was £400.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        per week.

Early morning train fare is £280 (return) or so, hotel £160 for anything half decent. Back in 2016 I remember 3 nights in Southwark Travelodge was £400.
        40,000 a year, if it were a longer term contract is obviously not sustainable.

Obviously it can be done a lot a cheaper if you are prepared to compromise.

It is not ideal, but it's the kind of thing the government is making us do by forcing IR35, lowering our standard of living.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          40,000 a year, if it were a longer term contract is obviously not sustainable.

Obviously it can be done a lot a cheaper if you are prepared to compromise.

It is not ideal, but it's the kind of thing the government is making us do by forcing IR35, lowering our standard of living.
          Some good Avios points can be earned for a much needed holiday to relax for sure.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had a very good and fairly well paid contract or a year half way up the country that probably cost me £1,000 in expenses (I spent about £6,000 in train tickets that year). If that was inside IR35 I would have been better off getting a local permanent job.

I am sure the market will eventually settle into a new normal post-Covid but the downside for business will be a smaller flexible workforce to come in and do a job and disappear when they aren't needed anymore.

People will do what is best for them which could include an inside contract but it is certainly a less appealing option now.

That said, from my limited view of the market while there is a lot of inside contracts I am possibly seeing a slight bump in daily rate to partially compensate.

Comment

Over the past few days my RSS in-box from Jobserve has been flooded with loads of opportunities. Majority I would say are 'Inside', others FTC, but a smattering of 'Outside' roles too with what I would call 'normal' rates. All related to the vaccine providing some confidence maybe, plus on the cusp of a new financial year for budgets?
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                My standard response was always, 'If you look at my CV, you will see that before I did XYZ, I had never done before, XYZ.'
                I like this and may borrow it, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Too many contractors and too few contracts. Jobserve has gone from several hundred jobs a day to probably about 50 passing my initial filter.
                  We are up to almost 12k jobs on jobserve today from the 'bottom' which i recorded at approx 2,850 in April 2020. It was steady for a while at around 6,000 through the bear market so the amount of activity has doubled in approx 10 days.

If this momentum continues we will will hit 25k again in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                    We are up to almost 12k jobs on jobserve today from the 'bottom' which i recorded at approx 2,850 in April 2020. It was steady for a while at around 6,000 through the bear market so the amount of activity has doubled in approx 10 days.

April 2020 isn't a good yardstick. It's the month IR35 should have set in but they cancelled it last minute. Caught everyone out.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

Interesting. The contract I finished today still had work to do but the powers that be didn't want to pay for it (the permanent staff are going down to a four day week) which I think is fairly common at the moment. The work isn't gong anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X