• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a 6 month extension with a 4% day rate increase. I pushed for more but they were playing very, very hard ball. I suppose I can't complain given the current climate, even if it is effectively a pay cut once inflation is taken into account.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
      I still have an Outside contract with proper SDS and this is with a global firm in Pharma with £30b+ revenue and 90,000 employees, I'm worried that the pressure will be too much and they'll just revert to Inside for an easy life, because it does seem like HMRC want to finish Outside determination contracts, especially if the doom merchants on here are to be believed.
      Be careful.
      https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...5_letters.html

Yes, this is a 2 year old story, but there are lessons to be learned for contractors who think GSK/Pfizer/etc know what they are doing when it comes to declaring a contract "outside"
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        I know some guys their are renegotiating rates just before flipping so will see how they get on.
        Staying on is effectively admitting that the role was inside all along, I wonder how that affects what HMRC will claim in unpaid tax, and whose lap that bill will eventually land in?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          Staying on is effectively admitting that the role was inside all along, I wonder how that affects what HMRC will claim in unpaid tax, and whose lap that bill will eventually land in?
          I left a very cushy gig even though they offered a rate bump to compensate because I was unwilling to take the risk of moving inside - It was a very sad day indeed.
          Last edited by TheDude; 24 March 2022, 12:48.

Comment

That's actually very insightful

Comment

That would depend if the contract and working conditions are is identical surely? Depending on the client it's entirely possible one contract might be outside and another inside if they have separate teams working in different ways. Simply accepting an extension which is inside... yeah that would make me very nervous.

Although in the new regime, would the client or contractor be liable for retrospective penalties for past contracts incorrectly labelled as outside? Isn't that point of the IR35 reforms that it's the client's responsibility?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I believe it will be the Public Sector who pick up the tab if they go after back dated tax, the IR35 determination has sat with the PS for several years so it's not the same situation as the recent changes to the private sector. Which then leads to the perverse situation that the contractor can claim back corp tax from HMRC if the ir35 status and tax paid is retrospective changed.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

market a lot quieter. My current gig only has 2 weeks left

Comment

I don't think I will ever adjust to the swings in the market. I finished my last contract in October and didn't even get an interview or frankly any response in 2021. January comes round and I am beating them off with a stick and get a new contract and now I hear the marker is down again.

Comment

Over the last past few weeks I have noticed fewer genuine roles posted, a rise in outside gigs at £150 to £200 below market rates and more non cynical CV harvesting non existent roles

Comment

Working...
                      X