• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Had interviews but nothing doing, four months on the bench now, getting rather tiresome.

Warchest is fine but now considering making company dormant and possibly going permy for a year or two.

Lots of inside gigs this week wanting SC.

It's a no from me.

qh
    Not really surprising given that will be Government work and HMRC's successful screwing lots of departments for £ms for dodgy outside IR35 determinations last year.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I suspect the technology sector is in for a kicking this year which will affect a lot of us here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
        I suspect the technology sector is in for a kicking this year which will affect a lot of us here.
        Depends on LOB. Lots of transformation/cost cutting, remote working, Digital Experience stuff..... as companies scramble to appear in tune with society

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Not really surprising given that will be Government work and HMRC's successful screwing lots of departments for £ms for dodgy outside IR35 determinations last year.
          I saw roles SC Inside IR35 going for £500 to £700 per day but that is still not enough comparised to 2019 levels. Also there are roles non-public sector going for Inside IR35 at £750pd, but the rates are not increasing for the same effort and demand, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

I saw roles SC Inside IR35 going for £500 to £700 per day but that is still not enough comparised to 2019 levels. Also there are roles non-public sector going for Inside IR35 at £750pd, but the rates are not increasing for the same effort and demand, I suppose.
            I don't quite understand the point you are making. PS roles tended to be, on average, 450 to 500 a day. The one I was on and many more stories on here uplifted to 700 which goes a long way to correcting the 30% odd drop income. Not equal but a good increase when the tax situation isn't really the clients problem. Many didn't uplift. The non-public sector increase isn't bad at all either. Not sure what you mean about effort and demand though?

All above assumes you are comparing like for like roles and those that were 500 before and 750 after. Just picking a couple of roles here and there and assuming that's a generic situation for all clients is wholly wrong.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have decided to go back to my old client and they have accepted me back. The rate is still inside IR35 but slightly higher than last time ~ extra £30 per day. It does last until December.

Once I replenish my treasure chest a bit, I will look again.

Comment

Originally posted by IsayIsayIsay View Post

Depends on LOB. Lots of transformation/cost cutting, remote working, Digital Experience stuff..... as companies scramble to appear in tune with society
                I do not like remote working. I miss the office banter, miss my work colleagues, miss looking at the birds at work and most definitely miss lunches from food markets.

I do not miss the commute though. There is so much overcrowding thanks to all doors open to EU. The early morning commute involved all of us suited city workers asleep or reading the paper. Now, this has been replaced by self-claimed uncertified builders wearing muddy clothes with their toolboxes. Morning commute involves standing on the train for an hour in a packed train. I am not talking about the Central line btw - good luck to anyone who wants to get on that! In the evening, I used to stand at platforms and observe the part of the train that is less crowdy and then position myself accordingly on the platform and even then had to skip five or six trains before getting a seat on one.

The c2c is now like this :

https://youtu.be/E7kor5nHtZQ
                Last edited by Destiny2; 7 February 2022, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

I do not like remote working. I miss the office banter, miss my work colleagues, miss looking at the birds at work and most definitely miss lunches from food markets.

I do not miss the commute though. There is so much overcrowding thanks to all doors open to EU. The early morning commute involved all of us suited city workers asleep or reading the paper. Now, this has been replaced by self-claimed uncertified builders wearing muddy clothes with their toolboxes. Morning commute involves standing on the train for an hour in a packed train. I am not talking about the Central line btw - good luck to anyone who wants to get on that! In the evening, I used to stand at platforms and observe the part of the train that is less crowdy and then position myself accordingly on the platform and even then had to skip five or six trains before getting a seat on one.

This is not a joke:
                  move somewhere nicer.

You're trying to target immigration as the cause, when we all know lack of investment in public transport - an easily derived result based on expenditure and success of public transport transformation projects when compared to other nearby countries - is the real cause. NYC has a huge immigrant population and manages very well with public transport, by US standards, which are much lower than western European standards.

If you want office life back and a better commute you need to vote with your feet: move house.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

use the river bus. River - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

This is not a joke:
                      move somewhere nicer.

You're trying to target immigration as the cause, when we all know lack of investment in public transport - an easily derived result based on expenditure and success of public transport transformation projects when compared to other nearby countries - is the real cause. NYC has a huge immigrant population and manages very well with public transport, by US standards, which are much lower than western European standards.

If you want office life back and a better commute you need to vote with your feet: move house.
                      I will still need to commute to the city and will then have to fork out a few grand every year for travel instead of the tenner I used to pay everyday on the underground.
                      Take the district line for example. When this overcrowding got worse, the old trains were replaced with the new interconnecting carriage trains - the overcrowding has still not gone down! Where I live, when you got off the train there would be 20 people heading towards the open barriers during the evening. Now, you have hundreds going up the ramp on both sides from a single train.

I used to do my weekly shopping on a weekend from a certain place. The journey took me 15 mins. 5 years ago. Now, I no longer do weekend shopping and instead do it on weekdays. That 15 mins. journey takes over an hour of sitting in traffic!

Uncontrolled immigration is definitely a reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X