• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    But surely you can't open another ltd within two years I thought?
    Only if you MVL and don't have a decent excuse.

And we covered that before - if you go permie you could probably claim things went pearshaped so had to restart it.

If you use an umbrella company it may be slightly harder to have that excuse.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Only if you MVL and don't have a decent excuse.

And we covered that before - if you go permie you could probably claim things went pearshaped so had to restart it.

If you use an umbrella company it may be slightly harder to have that excuse.
      why would it be harder?

Comment

And that's what I mean about a contractor understanding everything and doing the right thing at the right time.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
          why would it be harder?
          Permanent job - change in direction - sadly it didn't work out.

Umbrella - just another contract so continuation of current trade...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So, chaps, how is the market? Have rates dropped by any chance ?

Comment

You sure can! No realistic limit on how many ltd companies you can open.

Comment

Originally posted by Naruto1 View Post
                So, chaps, how is the market? Have rates dropped by any chance ?
                No. Just none of them about.

You are asking the wrong question.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  You sure can! No realistic limit on how many ltd companies you can open.
                  But depends on what you are going to be doing through them and how you shut the old one.

Comment

After a long time out on the bench, one of the ships has crossed the finished line.

It is INSIDE IR35 fixed-term contract with holiday pay and benefits, but I as you know, never assume anything and until you signed the dotted line and sent the scanned PDF email attachment [youngs contractors - fax in the old days].

I should be happy with this FTC job offer, but I'm not.

In fact, I'm quietly raging about the contractor way of life being destroyed. The way our working life is now busted up, perhaps for good. I am raging about the way the country is. It seems to be heading down the xenophobic paths and uncertainty of the socio-economic-political disunited kingdom and dysfunctional future, not to mention a***wipe of the tuliup LoanCharge , I'm mad as hell.

However, for me, this FTC could be a good thing for the short-term. You see, I think that I am the sort of person, who would be always already be looked over in the rat-race of promotion, which I why I welcomed the contracting experience over bout of employment. I never saw myself as management material. I have always been a software engineer / architect / designer / consultant (hands-on) and probably until my fingers rot away. Contracting, thus, allowed me to avoid the difficult conversations about leadership, authority and where-next in the career so to speak.

It is so sad, we, the contractors can't be trusted to pay our fair share of tax, through our dividends and claim our rightful business daily expenses. It's like the nanny state from 2005 / 2006 has total enveloped us all. How are we different to a brick layer, bathroom installers or freelance video/photographers?

There is a very very slim chance, that IR35, will be modified or even repealed, but this government is proving, to me at least, that they don't listen to anyone and/or anything. Welcome to the so-called hostile environment . (Did you see that woman on last night's BBC Question Time? - "68 million people living England" ) They will plough on through a minefield. So let the ________ blow up!
                    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 21 February 2020, 15:46.

Comment

Congratulations Rocktron! Lets hope the government manage to shock us with IR35 given all the recent news headlines.

Comment

Working...
                      X