• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    It's destructive if you are used to claiming expenses due to home location vis-à-vis location of work.
    I have to confess I did once do a stretch of permie work. I was fed up with always being on the edge as a contractor. Always being brought in when there was a disaster in progress. Always having a bad scene dumped on me, with no opportunity to design the thing better in the first place. Needless to say, I only lasted a year or so before we came to an agreement about parting company.

As it was 100 miles from home I had to fund a flat out of my own pocket. And of course all the other contractor-like costs eg extra furniture, extra gym memberships etc etc.

However despite all this I did very nicely out of it. The reason was very simple: the £gross was good.

This is the real battle. Stop whingeing on about the end of the HMRC subsidy. Concentrate on getting your rate up. I know it is not easy because it is a buyer's market in many cases now but that's what you've got to aim for. That's where you've got to focus your energy. From this thread it seems some people are achieving it.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      I have to confess I did once do a stretch of permie work. I was fed up with always being on the edge as a contractor. Always being brought in when there was a disaster in progress. Always having a bad scene dumped on me, with no opportunity to design the thing better in the first place. Needless to say, I only lasted a year or so before we came to an agreement about parting company.

As it was 100 miles from home I had to fund a flat out of my own pocket. And of course all the other contractor-like costs eg extra furniture, extra gym memberships etc etc.

However despite all this I did very nicely out of it. The reason was very simple: the £gross was good.

This is the real battle. Stop whingeing on about the end of the HMRC subsidy. Concentrate on getting your rate up. I know it is not easy because it is a buyer's market in many cases now but that's what you've got to aim for. That's where you've got to focus your energy. From this thread it seems some people are achieving it.
      I assume your last paragraph isn't aimed at me - I've not whined at any point as these changes were obvious (and inevitable) from July 2015....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

IDGAFF

Comment

One week to go at current ClientCo, last 3 weeks have been sloooow like 2-3 roles tops.

I had 1 phone interview for +30% my normal rate for an inside IR35, didn't progress further as my skill set wasn't a good match

And twice last week my CV was forwarded to ClientCo for Outside IR35 gigs in the public sector, one with a former Client, so fingers crossed.

Will give it at least until end of April before rowing the towel and start looking for juicy Perm roles.

Other than the overall draught, my other observation is that there are definitely increasing numbers of clients offering 20-30% rate increases for Inside roles and another wave of "chancres" offering 20-30% rate decrease for Outside roles. Most of the Clients offering "normal" rates for Outside gigs are public sector that have learned their lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
            I know i might be making strong acquisations here but dare I say the people here who's been strongly defending the idea of non-stop churning of code is good/measure of ..... actually haven't worked in the modern software building environments & just can't accept the goodness those modern environments brings.
            People here are on a fishing/trolling expedition.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              People here are on a fishing/trolling expedition.
              Yes, and it’s taking up too much of my time tidying up this thread.

If it happens again I will simply delete and ban.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Final week of contract with current ClientCo who have made blanket no PSC decision.

Market over the past few weeks for my skillset has been incredibly quiet. Only a few leads here and there, none amounting to anything.

I have been seeing more roles in general begin to pop up that are Outside IR35 which is positive.

Similar to others, will survey the market from the bench, do some additional training and see how the dust settles before resorting to permanent opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  IDGAFF
                  Congrats, again, on another world class reply.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
                    Even I can't defend that one
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
                      ok

better now?

Comment

Working...
                      X