• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New computer - Mac or PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New computer - Mac or PC?

A few years ago I got a MacMini2012 because some dev work required a Mac. Gradually it ended up as my main machine, running Windows in Parallels, and my older Winbox got retired.
    Now, the MacMini is getting more and more unreliable and I figure I'm due a replacement (I got it 2014 I think). I quite enjoy MacOS but the new MacMinis are really pricey - and less easily user-servable/upgradeable.

These days I typically do all my dev work on remote VMs so host OS is less important. Clearly I can get a WinBox for a few hundred quid, or even get a decent laptop and use that with external peripherals for comfortably under a grand.

I know it's subjective but just wondered what people reckon?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Get a laptop with some flavour of linux on it? Frankly, if you're just using it for remote VMs, rather than worry about the OS, focus on price, build quality, upgradeability/future proofing, size, weight, screen, reliability etc.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I moved from a Mac Pro to a refurbished Dell Latitude 9491.

It cost 2/3rds less and I'm very happy with it (although next time I'll spend a little more and get a better screen).
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My company has a 27" iMac, which does a great job, but having a PC laptop is useful as well.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Currently, have a new mac mini for iOS dev work and have a Surface book2 for .Net development. I can tell you which one I prefer but I don't think it would help you if all your work is remote. I guess go for a laptop with a good screen, keyboard, battery and sounds like any OS will do you.

Comment

If all the work is remote, build a super powerful desktop. And then play Elite Dangerous on it.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              If all the work is remote, build a super powerful desktop. And then play Elite Dangerous on it.
              I would recommend VR if you go down that route, so get a good graphics card. Hotus makes it much more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                you don't need anything particualrly powerfull for E.
                Unless going VR, and then it's just the GPU you need.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I was thinking about this the other day, I use a Mac for home and typically clients give me a PC. If it's new enough and nicely specced (screen, ram, basic CPU, nothing drastic), I'd happily work on either.

The only thing I would say is that Macs don't run Visio or Project unless you use something like Parallels. That can come up quite a lot and in one situation I was emailed a project plan and expected to feed back on it half an hour later and had to do some very quick installing
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Currently, have a new mac mini for iOS dev work and have a Surface book2 for .Net development. I can tell you which one I prefer but I don't think it would help you if all your work is remote. I guess go for a laptop with a good screen, keyboard, battery and sounds like any OS will do you.
                    It's also my main home PC - I think I've come to prefer MacOS for general use but probably not enough to pay an extra £500 for it.

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    I was thinking about this the other day, I use a Mac for home and typically clients give me a PC. If it's new enough and nicely specced (screen, ram, basic CPU, nothing drastic), I'd happily work on either.

The only thing I would say is that Macs don't run Visio or Project unless you use something like Parallels. That can come up quite a lot and in one situation I was emailed a project plan and expected to feed back on it half an hour later and had to do some very quick installing
                    I have had that before. Equally for non-work stuff, some apps are Mac only (in music for example).

Technically, a Mac will let you do both via BootCamp/Parallels but a PC won't let you run MacOS (I cannot be arsed with Hackintosh stuff).

I was looking at Dell yesterday and seems like even for £500 you can get a reasonable 15" laptop. Nothing special but probably enough IF I want a laptop. Though I'd have to check it can drive my QHD monitor via HDMI. Of course, I'd love a proper dock but they are £200 which I balk at rather!

I assume I can find a PC equivalent of MacMini if I don't want a beige box - I do like the small form factor
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X