• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New computer - Mac or PC?"

Collapse

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    it's a bit comparing apples to oranges, if anything the comparison should be with x86 Laptop running Linux.

I have always wondered who buys Chromebooks instead of android tablet with external keyboard, they seem so niche. Not to mention the baked-in expiration on software updates.

The latest versions of Win 10 (last 6m or so) are somewhat decent. Previously the interface was a hot mess of old style and new stile, lately they have managed to dispatch with most of the legacy stuff. Unfortunately as a side effect now it takes me ages to find settings that I have known by heard for 20 years.
    Let's agree to disagree on pretty much each of your points and move on...

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Just curious, but why would one go with Apple (£££££) instead of a Chromebook (££) if this is such an issue with less worldly-wise users?

It seems like an overly expensive solution.
    it's a bit comparing apples to oranges, if anything the comparison should be with x86 Laptop running Linux.

I have always wondered who buys Chromebooks instead of android tablet with external keyboard, they seem so niche. Not to mention the baked-in expiration on software updates.

The latest versions of Win 10 (last 6m or so) are somewhat decent. Previously the interface was a hot mess of old style and new stile, lately they have managed to dispatch with most of the legacy stuff. Unfortunately as a side effect now it takes me ages to find settings that I have known by heard for 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Linux - it's only free if your time is worthless.....
    True dat.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Linux - it's only free if your time is worthless.....

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Oh I need a scanner/printer/MS Office is it ChromeBook compatible?

With OSX you just plug and it works.

If the father in law wants to play a game if it says it's Mac compatible he can.

If they have a problem/question, they can walk into an Apple store/reseller.

Lots of reasons. It's not always about the money.
    Fair enough. Just seems odd to my more Celtic financial predisposition.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Oh I need a scanner/printer/MS Office is it ChromeBook compatible?

With OSX you just plug and it works.

If the father in law wants to play a game if it says it's Mac compatible he can.

If they have a problem/question, they can walk into an Apple store/reseller.

Lots of reasons. It's not always about the money.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    This. This so much. My father in law clicks every 'your PC has a virus, click here to remove it' he sees. I moved them off to a Mac and the support/maintenance calls have fallen off a cliff. For a standard user I would argue that it's way better (more secure, less virus prone, less possible to tinker with) than Windows.

The downsides of course, are the walled garden approach to software and hardware compatibility.
    Just curious, but why would one go with Apple (£££££) instead of a Chromebook (££) if this is such an issue with less worldly-wise users?

It seems like an overly expensive solution.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    And for an un-savvy user (e.g. my mum) I still have to clean off all the "extras" (toolbars, pop ups, web search enhancements) that she's picked up each time I visit.
    This. This so much. My father in law clicks every 'your PC has a virus, click here to remove it' he sees. I moved them off to a Mac and the support/maintenance calls have fallen off a cliff. For a standard user I would argue that it's way better (more secure, less virus prone, less possible to tinker with) than Windows.

The downsides of course, are the walled garden approach to software and hardware compatibility.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    For the past 10 years.
    We'll have to agree to differ there. I had plenty of issues with Win10 and that one was one the reasons I finally (personally) switched to Apple, but I was using W10 all day everyday until 18 months ago. And for an un-savvy user (e.g. my mum) I still have to clean off all the "extras" (toolbars, pop ups, web search enhancements) that she's picked up each time I visit. I've always thought that Windows was great for professionals but awful for non-techies. I have enough current exposure to Win10 that I haven't changed my mind, but I'll admit that even my "numpty" users, who I used to have to help out at least once a month, can now generally get by for about 3 before something goes wonky

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think if I wanted to spend silly money, I'd be tempted by one of the MS Surface laptops. Earlier iterations we're a way ahead of the competition I think, is that no longer the case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Be careful with surface 2 have had issues with cpu throttling especially when the weather is warm.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    None taken! I'm glad to hear that Windows is finally usable
    For the past 10 years.

My daughter got herself a surface pro for her college works. Seems to be very good.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I think if I wanted to spend silly money, I'd be tempted by one of the MS Surface laptops. Earlier iterations we're a way ahead of the competition I think, is that no longer the case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Personally I go for something like this. Peanuts for real IT contractors.

ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo UX581GV-H2001T Laptop with ScreenPad Plus, Intel Core i9, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 1TB SSD, 15.6” OLED 4K Touchscreen, Celestial Blue at John Lewis & Partners

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Intel NUCs use U series Core CPUs which is the same that goes in Laptops, where U stands for Ultra low voltage. So no real difference in performance.

There might be other mini PC platforms out there that use desktop grade CPUs, but I hardly doubt they can fit the PSU and cooling required in a NUC form factor.

There is still plenty of applications for NUCs like home-brew firewalls and media centres, or anything that require more physical ports. But for a general desktop replacement I would always pick a Laptop even if there is small premium to pay for the portability.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    When I was looking at them, they seemed quite pricey, only slightly cheaper than comparable Laptop. Unless you are on a tight budget it didn't make sense to me to lose the versatility and portability of the laptop.
    You're paying a premium for the cute packaging I suppose. I don't know how comparable the specs are - you might see both are i7 but wouldn't the laptop be some special low-power i7 not quite as powerful? Or is that out of date?

You do make a good point about getting a laptop "for free". Even if you never use it as one it's quite a compact 'box' especially if you can configure it to run without having to open the lid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X