• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: cretin alert

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "cretin alert"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's seems very fair to me so good on them for doing that. Would be interested to see if they've kept that up or times have changed their attitude.
    Their attitude changed when they went bust.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post

The former is what we were told to do when I worked at Staples - if it scans at a higher price on the till, ask the customer to take you to the shelf where they saw the lower price - honour it but take the price off the shelf and get it corrected asap afterwards - that was a good few years ago now though...
    That seems a reasonable practice and fairly defensible in my opinion.

Some check the price and honour it but don't remove the price tag.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

The former is what we were told to do when I worked at Staples - if it scans at a higher price on the till, ask the customer to take you to the shelf where they saw the lower price - honour it but take the price off the shelf and get it corrected asap afterwards - that was a good few years ago now though...
    That's seems very fair to me so good on them for doing that. Would be interested to see if they've kept that up or times have changed their attitude.

So where are you now? Step up to Waitrose or are you getting by at TKMaxx? What do they do at your new place?

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I've been with someone a few times in larger stores where this happens.

The decent stores allow you to buy the goods but quickly remove the stock from the shelves so other customers can't buy it.

The nasty stores accuse you of doing something to the price or tell you you can't buy the item.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

That's the first I've heard of it being a criminal offence - citizens advice says

"If you take an item to the till and are told the price on the tag or label is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price. You could still try asking the seller to honour the price."

which was my understanding

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...e-wrong-price/
    I've been with someone a few times in larger stores where this happens.

The decent stores allow you to buy the goods but quickly remove the stock from the shelves so other customers can't buy it.

The nasty stores accuse you of doing something to the price or tell you you can't buy the item.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

That's the first I've heard of it being a criminal offence - citizens advice says

"If you take an item to the till and are told the price on the tag or label is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price. You could still try asking the seller to honour the price."

you are mixing up two laws.

Your have no right to demand it at the lower price. The shop has a right to refuse the sale.

If they sell it to you at a higher price than marked then the shop is possibly committing a pricing offence.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

sadly your faith in shopkeepers is misplaced,

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/news/a...cing_practices

There are also large supermarkets and DIY chains that have poor control over their pricing especially on special offers, I won't name them but they exist, whilst its not intentional the law says it is not supposed to happen.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You're talking about misleading .... shops don't do that on purpose unless they want to lose business. It would be a mistake but in this electronic world where everything is on a stock system, the chances of this happening in major stores is minimal.

even in small corner shops everything is electronic so not likely to mislead on purpose.
    sadly your faith in shopkeepers is misplaced,

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/news/a...cing_practices

Tony Quigley, Head of Trading Standards at Birmingham City Council, said: “Trading Standards is receiving a high volume of calls about businesses charging inflated prices and ‘dual pricing’. Whilst traders can charge what they want for items that are not price marked except by themselves, it is a criminal offence to charge a higher price for products that are clearly marked with a visible lower price.

“Officers have been out today to some of these stores to make test purchases, establishing that some are carrying on this illegal practice. We will continue our investigations and deal with those traders that are flouting the law.

“Anyone who spots dual pricing in their local shops can report it by sending details and any evidence to [email protected]
    There are also large supermarkets and DIY chains that have poor control over their pricing especially on special offers, I won't name them but they exist, whilst its not intentional the law says it is not supposed to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

not quite.

If the shop has advertised at a misleading price they may be committing a crime.

https://advice.consumercouncil.org.uk/directory/prices

If they spot it at the till they can indeed refuse to sell it. They may choose to honour it. However charging higher knowingly is a bad idea for a retail operation.

A certain big DIY chain should get weekly visits.
    You're talking about misleading .... shops don't do that on purpose unless they want to lose business. It would be a mistake but in this electronic world where everything is on a stock system, the chances of this happening in major stores is minimal.

even in small corner shops everything is electronic so not likely to mislead on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

If it was a mistake it would happen the other way just as often, but it doesn’t. If fraud isn’t a crime anymore then I have to say I’m surprised.

Does that mean I can invoice my customers for more than they owe me and just keep the money? It’s all legal!

Great, I might be able to afford all those carrier bags after all.
    Maybe read up on contract law, offer and acceptance. You may find your answer there.

Clue: you have a contract with your client. There is no contract between shopper and shopkeeper. There is merely an offer that has yet to be accepted by both parties.

Do try to learn some basics fella.

Leave a comment:

• DerrickOlley
    replied
    Asda has an interesting style! My wife has such a bag in an unusual style! I have nothing against this bag!
    Last edited by DerrickOlley; 16 April 2023, 14:03. Reason: error

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You do realise that the shop doesn't have to sell you the goods at the price that it is marked up at, don't you? So it's not a crime if the till rings up higher ... unethical yes, but usually a mistake ... but not a crime.

You really are struggling today aren't you?
    not quite.

If the shop has advertised at a misleading price they may be committing a crime.

https://advice.consumercouncil.org.uk/directory/prices

The law makes it illegal for businesses to mislead you about the price of an item.

Misleading pricing information can be given in a number of ways. The following are some examples:
    • The price shown on a shelf edge label or a price ticket is lower than the price actually charged at the till;
    • Incomplete information is given about the price;
    • Not all charges, such as VAT or a call-out charge, are included in the price quoted; and
    • False information is given when making comparisons with other prices (e.g. in a sale).

Despite it being a criminal offence, if an item has been marked incorrectly with the wrong price, e.g. the shelf label says £1.50 but the item scans at £1.80, you cannot demand that the retailer sells you the item at the lower price. If a business regularly prices items incorrectly, this may be something Trading Standards Service will want to investigate.
    If they spot it at the till they can indeed refuse to sell it. They may choose to honour it. However charging higher knowingly is a bad idea for a retail operation.

A certain big DIY chain should get weekly visits.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

They hire polite ex-cons to break their legs?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It’s bad enough that I have to pay for the NHS bills of all the frugal people who get food poisoning after reusing their questionably-named “bags for life”.
    Not heard of that before, had to Google. Thought at first anyone who puts raw unwrapped meat or fish in bags and does not wash them qualifies as cretin but seems even prepacked stuff can have germs on outside.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied

You do realise that the shop doesn't have to sell you the goods at the price that it is marked up at, don't you? So it's not a crime if the till rings up higher ... unethical yes, but usually a mistake ... but not a crime.

You really are struggling today aren't you?
    If it was a mistake it would happen the other way just as often, but it doesn’t. If fraud isn’t a crime anymore then I have to say I’m surprised.

Does that mean I can invoice my customers for more than they owe me and just keep the money? It’s all legal!

Great, I might be able to afford all those carrier bags after all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X