• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cretin alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they never prosecute the shop-owners when the automatic tills charge more than the price on the shelf?

if I saw a few hundred of them doing some hard time then maybe I would feel bad about stealing their carrier bags.

It’s bad enough that I have to pay for the NHS bills of all the frugal people who get food poisoning after reusing their questionably-named “bags for life”.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
      Why do they never prosecute the shop-owners when the automatic tills charge more than the price on the shelf?

if I saw a few hundred of them doing some hard time then maybe I would feel bad about stealing their carrier bags.

It’s bad enough that I have to pay for the NHS bills of all the frugal people who get food poisoning after reusing their questionably-named “bags for life”.
      You do realise that the shop doesn't have to sell you the goods at the price that it is marked up at, don't you? So it's not a crime if the till rings up higher ... unethical yes, but usually a mistake ... but not a crime.

You really are struggling today aren't you?

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Tis somewhat counterproductive. I nearly always have bags in my car/handbag, but have been away and forgotten to replace. Went to Tesco intending to get loads of stuff - realised I'd forgotten my bags, so came out with the essentials only (wine!). At 10p I'd have just bought the bags while whinging to myself about having forgotten to bring them.

Comment

Went to the supermarket today. Took 6 carrier bags with us.

Sorry, what's the issue here?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You do realise that the shop doesn't have to sell you the goods at the price that it is marked up at, don't you? So it's not a crime if the till rings up higher ... unethical yes, but usually a mistake ... but not a crime.

If it was a mistake it would happen the other way just as often, but it doesn’t. If fraud isn’t a crime anymore then I have to say I’m surprised.

Does that mean I can invoice my customers for more than they owe me and just keep the money? It’s all legal!

Great, I might be able to afford all those carrier bags after all.

Comment

Not heard of that before, had to Google. Thought at first anyone who puts raw unwrapped meat or fish in bags and does not wash them qualifies as cretin but seems even prepacked stuff can have germs on outside.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

They hire polite ex-cons to break their legs?
                FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

not quite.

If the shop has advertised at a misleading price they may be committing a crime.

https://advice.consumercouncil.org.uk/directory/prices

The law makes it illegal for businesses to mislead you about the price of an item.

Misleading pricing information can be given in a number of ways. The following are some examples:
                  • The price shown on a shelf edge label or a price ticket is lower than the price actually charged at the till;
                  • Incomplete information is given about the price;
                  • Not all charges, such as VAT or a call-out charge, are included in the price quoted; and
                  • False information is given when making comparisons with other prices (e.g. in a sale).

Despite it being a criminal offence, if an item has been marked incorrectly with the wrong price, e.g. the shelf label says £1.50 but the item scans at £1.80, you cannot demand that the retailer sells you the item at the lower price. If a business regularly prices items incorrectly, this may be something Trading Standards Service will want to investigate.
                  If they spot it at the till they can indeed refuse to sell it. They may choose to honour it. However charging higher knowingly is a bad idea for a retail operation.

A certain big DIY chain should get weekly visits.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Asda has an interesting style! My wife has such a bag in an unusual style! I have nothing against this bag!
                    Last edited by DerrickOlley; 16 April 2023, 14:03. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

If it was a mistake it would happen the other way just as often, but it doesn’t. If fraud isn’t a crime anymore then I have to say I’m surprised.

Does that mean I can invoice my customers for more than they owe me and just keep the money? It’s all legal!

Great, I might be able to afford all those carrier bags after all.
                      Maybe read up on contract law, offer and acceptance. You may find your answer there.

Clue: you have a contract with your client. There is no contract between shopper and shopkeeper. There is merely an offer that has yet to be accepted by both parties.

Do try to learn some basics fella.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X