• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Middle Age Spread

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Middle Age Spread"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Yeah, of course it was .
    The irony being that you don't get what I suppose these days would be called a meme: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Any_fule_kno

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Yeah, of course it was

I've also found the body measurement data from the electronic scales pretty dodgy. If i do pre and post-run measurements (where i can easily lose 1-2kg in fluids), it can result in fairly significant changes to the body far and visceral fat results it provides.
    Well yes, it's measuring fluid content, since there is a lot more fluid in adipose tissue than there is in muscle...

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You do realise that was deliberate, right?
    Yeah, of course it was

I've also found the body measurement data from the electronic scales pretty dodgy. If i do pre and post-run measurements (where i can easily lose 1-2kg in fluids), it can result in fairly significant changes to the body fat and visceral fat results it provides.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 11 October 2021, 15:44.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Oh, the irony
    You do realise that was deliberate, right?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

A simple pinch test for subcutaneous fat is more accurate an assessment of obesity. If you want to be a little more scientific, you can buy a set of scales that can measure overall boy fat content, which will catch the visceral adipose tissue that is the real problem.
    But just measuring your height and weight is simpler still. It only needs to be good enough.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    any fule can do
    Oh, the irony

(but yes, BPM is a useful indicator for 99+% of the population)

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    BMI isn't a nonsense measurement. As a gross tool to quickly flag people who may have issues, it is easy and quick. Most with high BMI are not semi-pro sportspeople or body builders or suffering dwarfism after all.

Getting an accurate body composition report has to be a couple of orders of magnitude more work than measuring your height and weight which any fule can do
    A simple pinch test for subcutaneous fat is more accurate an assessment of obesity. If you want to be a little more scientific, you can buy a set of scales that can measure overall boy fat content, which will catch the visceral adipose tissue that is the real problem.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got one of those Weight Watcher body analyser scales, measures BMI, body fat, body water and bone mass. Probably used it about 3 times in 2 years I've had it. Typical.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    BMI isn't a nonsense measurement. As a gross tool to quickly flag people who may have issues, it is easy and quick. Most with high BMI are not semi-pro sportspeople or body builders or suffering dwarfism after all.

Getting an accurate body composition report has to be a couple of orders of magnitude more work than measuring your height and weight which any fule can do

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The researchers should just say that BMI is a tulip measurement, and that if someone has type 2 diabetes they need to lose visceral fat and exercise daily regardless of their weight.
    Totally this - BMI is a nonsense measure. Using that as the yardstick, someone like Maro Itoje is grossly obese.

I was under 9 stone at 21, mostly down to not being able to eat properly for a couple of months. I was 13 stone playing county-standard badminton and 16 stone when I could bench press 60 Kgs without straining anything, do three hours kendo without getting out of breath and had a 34 inch waist.

All long gone now, sadly, apart from the 16 stone bit. However my latest set of blood tests put everything, including BP and resting heart rate, well inside normal. OTOH I met someone lately who is a builder in his 50s, 6'3", weighs 13 stone, is a vegetarian and has developed type 2 diabetes...

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No point having a nice diagram if you cannot say what app you are using.
    Thats just some random app that came with my weighing scales.

I use this one its 12 quid, my wife had a fancy £30 one that sent an electric signal to measure fat % it also came with an app, but it broke, so i got this cheap and cheerful scale for my diet tracking:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    I have never ever dieted before but i thought i would start one to lose some middle age spread before i turn 50!

Started at 79Kg, 21 days ago, looking to reach 64Kg in a 100 days.. So 15Kg to lose into total.

Im doing a Ketogenic low carb diet. Including 8 hour eating window and 16 hour daily fast. Love the diet. Highly recommend it.
    The kind of food allowed is so much better than the junk high carb stuff i was constantly eating just 3 weeks ago!

I think the first few kilos are the easy bit, it is mostly water weight.

And then they say it gets a bit harder and slower.

Currently on day 21, have lost 5Kg so far.

Most of my fat is around my torso and belly and i can definitely notice the difference after 5kg down.

This is from my tracking app:

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-10-14-05-23.png Views:	0 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	4186952
    No point having a nice diagram if you cannot say what app you are using.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    I have never ever dieted before but i thought i would start one to lose some middle age spread before i turn 50!

Started at 79Kg, 21 days ago, looking to reach 64Kg in a 100 days.. So 15Kg to lose into total.

Im doing a Ketogenic low carb diet. Including 8 hour eating window and 16 hour daily fast. Love the diet. Highly recommend it.
    The kind of food allowed is so much better than the junk high carb stuff i was constantly eating just 3 weeks ago!

I think the first few kilos are the easy bit, it is mostly water weight.

And then they say it gets a bit harder and slower.

Currently on day 21, have lost 5Kg so far.

Most of my fat is around my torso and belly and i can definitely notice the difference after 5kg down.

This is from my tracking app:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2021-10-10-14-05-23.png Views:	0 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	4186952

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

W*nking isn't going to help much. Just make your arms look uneven.
    I thought you wife had you oing 2 at a time to keep even muscles.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Nonsense.

99 change hands.

Everyone knows that.

Oh.

Did I say that aloud?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think at 21 I still barely weighed much over 9st, I was incredibly skinny. I've filled out with both fat and muscle since then - currently two sizes bigger than I was back then but it should be 1 realistically. Some self-maintenance to do this winter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X