• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Age Spread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle Age Spread

Apparently if you can't fit into the jeans you wore at 21 you have a problem...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...oping-diabetes

People risk developing type 2 diabetes if they can no longer fit into the jeans they were wearing when they were 21, according to one of the world’s leading experts on the disease.

And if people discovered they could no longer fit into the same-sized trousers then they were “carrying too much fat”, Prof Roy Taylor, from Newcastle University, said.

Taylor was presenting data at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes’ annual conference on an early study that found that people of normal weight with type 2 diabetes could “achieve remission” by losing weight.

Eight in 12 people managed to “get rid” of their condition by losing 10 to 15% of their body weight.

The participants, who had type 2 diabetes despite having a “normal” body mass index (BMI), managed to cut the levels of fat in the liver and pancreas, and the activity of the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas was deemed to be restored.

Taylor, the principle investigator, said: “Doctors tend to assume that type 2 diabetes has a different cause in those who are not overweight. What we’ve shown is that if those of normal weight lose 10 to 15% of their weight, they have a very good chance of getting rid of their diabetes.”

The participants, who had an average BMI of 24.5, followed a weight-loss programme that included a low-calorie liquid diet for two weeks – where each day they were consuming only 800 calories a day through soups and shakes.

They completed three rounds of this programme until they lost 10 to 15% of their body weight.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I think at 21 I still barely weighed much over 9st, I was incredibly skinny. I've filled out with both fat and muscle since then - currently two sizes bigger than I was back then but it should be 1 realistically. Some self-maintenance to do this winter
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was a size 8-10 then. Now I'm a size 14.

I'd like to be slimmer but I really can't be arsed.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I was a size 8-10 then. Now I'm a size 14.

I'd like to be slimmer but I really can't be arsed.
        Strange I had imagined you size 18-20 sorry.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

that is not only impossible but outright insane.
          People's metabolism changes with age. Also, if you keep yourself at a normal BMI and are active in your everyday life you should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Strange I had imagined you size 18-20 sorry.
            No need to apologise. I refer to myself as being lardy and having a fat arse most of the time so that's to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

No need to apologise. I refer to myself as being lardy and having a fat arse most of the time so that's to be expected.
              well size 14 is saving a little four for HWMBO

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was 30in waist back then, and 30 now (in stretch demin jeans) and 32 in non-stretch trousers. I'm probably 1/2 stone heavier but I do a lot more cycling now so have bigger legs. I also do a few more weights so more muscular up top too ... so I'm probably not too far off my 21 year old body

Now had we had this conversation 10 years ago I'd have been nowhere near this lol, and at 35 I was a bit of a blobster!
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post
                  that is not only impossible but outright insane.
                  People's metabolism changes with age. Also, if you keep yourself at a normal BMI and are active in your everyday life you should be OK.
                  The researchers should just say that BMI is a tulip measurement, and that if someone has type 2 diabetes they need to lose visceral fat and exercise daily regardless of their weight.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The researchers should just say that BMI is a tulip measurement, and that if someone has type 2 diabetes they need to lose visceral fat and exercise daily regardless of their weight.
                    everybody needs to exercise daily. That's how you don't get diabetes and other nasty tulip.
                    one hour's walk every day if you can't manage more is still exercise

Comment

Working...
                    X