• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cars hate lockdown

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cars hate lockdown"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Well my car's alternator decided to commit seppuku yesterday on the way back from the UNI run. Plenty of waiting around then hours on the back of the truck from up north!

Will be happy to renew the AA next year.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Yeh, cars used to be easy to repair and service once, with more modern ones it's hard just to change the oil filter. Gave up car DIY years ago.

PS Cars used to have grease nipples, greasing those was fun!
    I found a couple of grease guns in the shed the other day, I assume there's some long forgotten reason for having two, probably different types of grease.

The last grease nipple I recall was on a propshaft I had made for a Dutton Phaeces kit car.

The grease nipple prior to that was on the powersteering ram on a Ford Zodiac Mk IV.

Which, at a guess, explains the two greaseguns.

There's also the giant economy size tin of Castrol LM that will probably last until doomsday at its present rate of use.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Getting to the battery on my 'zed is easy. It did go through a spate of dying from lack of use but the solar trickle charger I got seems to have sorted that out nicely.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Was my daughters Mini and i had to remove half the engine to get at the battery
    Yeh, cars used to be easy to repair and service once, with more modern ones it's hard just to change the oil filter. Gave up car DIY years ago.

PS Cars used to have grease nipples, greasing those was fun!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    FFS, this isn't facebook.
    You wanna show me your puppies?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    FFS, this isn't facebook.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wait until you need to change the battery on your EV.
    Hopefully i will still be able to afford the Tesla end of the market and not the Leaf end when ICE cars are banned.

Tesla batteries are designed to last well over 250,000 miles.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Wait until you need to change the battery on your EV.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    I had a similar issue with car battery draining. In my case it is an older car so potentially parasitic losses somewhere.
    got one of switches below and I disconnect the battery every time I know I won't be using the car for a long time.

1 year on and the battery is still going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 11.25.24.png
Views:	196
Size:	872.3 KB
ID:	4172334

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Wasn't one version obsessed with the A303?
    Pretty sure I narrowed down his house to a short stretch. He went curiously quiet when I posted a Google street map link!

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Oh, I wouldn't say that, he did have his moments with the recumbent bike, the banana suit, & pissing out of the windows of moving trains.

Wasn't one version obsessed with the A303?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    FOG... that said even Gricer doesn't stoop to this level of unending tedium.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    Our Cmax has a similarly hard to get to battery, so I ended up paying Halford's the tenner fitting cost earlier this year. When did this sort of nonsense start, anyway? It's a pain to even get to it for jump starting.
    When all the professional engineers designing cars retired now its just kids playing on computers who have never fixed a car?

Also its in manufacturers interests to make it hard to fix, all those lovely main agent fees.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Wait until you have to change the bulb on most modern cars, French ones in particular are very difficult.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Our Cmax has a similarly hard to get to battery, so I ended up paying Halford's the tenner fitting cost earlier this year. When did this sort of nonsense start, anyway? It's a pain to even get to it for jump starting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X