• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars hate lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cars hate lockdown

I had to change the battery in one of ours back in April, had died during lockdown due to lack of use.

Was my daughters Mini and i had to remove half the engine to get at the battery.

I exaggerate slightly, i had to remove about 5 plastic panels, disconnect the Mass airflow sensor and then remove the air filter so i could pull the battery out.

Luckily there was a Youtube video on how to do this as i know fook all about cars.

Our Cmax has a similarly hard to get to battery, so I ended up paying Halford's the tenner fitting cost earlier this year. When did this sort of nonsense start, anyway? It's a pain to even get to it for jump starting.

Comment

Wait until you have to change the bulb on most modern cars, French ones in particular are very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
        Our Cmax has a similarly hard to get to battery, so I ended up paying Halford's the tenner fitting cost earlier this year. When did this sort of nonsense start, anyway? It's a pain to even get to it for jump starting.
        When all the professional engineers designing cars retired now its just kids playing on computers who have never fixed a car?

Also its in manufacturers interests to make it hard to fix, all those lovely main agent fees.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

FOG... that said even Gricer doesn't stoop to this level of unending tedium.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh, I wouldn't say that, he did have his moments with the recumbent bike, the banana suit, & pissing out of the windows of moving trains.

Wasn't one version obsessed with the A303?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Wasn't one version obsessed with the A303?
              Pretty sure I narrowed down his house to a short stretch. He went curiously quiet when I posted a Google street map link!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I had a similar issue with car battery draining. In my case it is an older car so potentially parasitic losses somewhere.
                got one of switches below and I disconnect the battery every time I know I won't be using the car for a long time.

1 year on and the battery is still going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 11.25.24.png
Views:	196
Size:	872.3 KB
ID:	4172334

Comment

Wait until you need to change the battery on your EV.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Wait until you need to change the battery on your EV.
                    Hopefully i will still be able to afford the Tesla end of the market and not the Leaf end when ICE cars are banned.

Tesla batteries are designed to last well over 250,000 miles.

Comment

Working...
                    X